Do Canadian truck drivers get issued arrest warrants for unpaid tickets

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by Aarrons, Jul 23, 2017.

1. Aarrons

Aarrons Light Load Member

Jul 13, 2015
    if so what kind of tickets, I was at a trucking company and saw a posting with a long list of names that said the following have arrest warrants on the American port of entry.

and how much money of what kind of offense would it have to be that someone has an arrest warrant?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. UsualSuspect

UsualSuspect Road Train Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Yo Mama's
    A lot of variables on warrants. Some Judges will issue them, but the Court may only extradite if you are within x number of miles from the court. Others will come in a get you for failure to use a turn signal across the country.
    I am not sure why there is a list, unless they are frequent crossers. There is a nationwide system that warrants are entered into, and they should be running queries against anytime you cross.
    How much money? Another who knows question, a $15 fine in one Court may be $500,000 in another, depends on if they have a set bail schedule, or if the Judge is given latitude as to the bail amount, and of course your past history of no shows, and the offense itself.

4. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    Are you asking if a warrant could be issued by a U.S.-based court against a Canadian driver? Yes, they would be issued under the same circumstances as they would against an American driver. However, the warrant would be unenforceable in Canada.

5. orcen

orcen Heavy Load Member

Jun 30, 2013
    Brisbane, QLD Australia
    If you fail to show up in court, absolutely.

6. upnorthwpg

upnorthwpg Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2011
    I took a new driver to the states. He was called in. Turns out he had an unpaid ticket from 20 years ago, and a missed court date. Bench warrant issued. They told him if he was driving, he would have been arrested. Because he was not driving, they couldn't arrest him.

Probably why there's a shame list posted. So people know who's eligible to cross and who isn't.

7. Jazz1

Jazz1 Road Train Member

May 7, 2012
    Thunder Bay On
    Illinois you pay your ticket on the spot. Border states usually allow X# days to pay. Iowa DOT were real nice and allowed me to carry on 5000lbs over gross for only $128:)

Always pay your ticket ASAP, sucks to get stopped and you short of cash or cards and they toss you in jail. I had to stop in Quebec once and bail a driver out of jail for a $200 fine.

8. clausland

clausland Road Train Member

Dec 5, 2014
    North Woods
    Canadian driver gets a speeding ticket in NY and blows it off. His/her D/L accordingly gets scoffed and suspended. Canadian driver shows up at U.S. Customs in NY and it's a slow night, so the officer runs a quick D/L check and guess what, the Canadian driver is going to go see the judge and pay the fine, or no proceed inland, not sure about other States though, bonjournee....

9. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    We ran team, I was in the bunk. Hit the first scale north of Seattle on I-5 heading back to Canada. Partner got the red light to report. Comes back and gets me up.
    The scale master stopped and checked another Canadian truck that had outstanding tickets unpaid. The local jail was full, but he couldn't let the guy drive away. The scale guy knew we ran team and asked if I would drive the guys truck up the highway out of his view.
    Then the driver hopped in his passenger seat and I drove his truck up to the first exit. He took over and I got back in my own truck.

10. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    A Canadian driver may have outstanding tickets in any state/province/territory (for which they may be detained), but their licence can only be suspended by their home province/territory. Ontario was the only province to have a reciprocal agreement with any states (New York and Michigan) and those were revoked last year. I haven't bothered to look into why, but I expect it was most likely due to differences in privacy legislation... ours is more stringent. Otherwise, in Canada, only the issuing province/territory can suspend a driver’s licence.

Unpaid fines/convictions from the U.S. should still be dealt with, especially if one plans to travel to that state again.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
  11. clausland

clausland Road Train Member

Dec 5, 2014
    North Woods
    You're partly right, their license is still valid in Canada, but I know for a fact that if stopped in NY after being scoffed for a NY issued no show ticket, their driving privileges are suspended in NY. Until the fine(s) are paid in NY for NY issued tickets they will not be allowed to proceed....

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.