Do CFI company trucks have APU's/EPU's?

Discussion in 'CFI' started by doninwooster, Apr 15, 2018.

1. doninwooster

doninwooster Light Load Member

Feb 19, 2018
    Wooster, OH
    Doesn't make sense that the batteries would last only half the night using the bunk heater.

paul_4lp Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bavarian

bavarian Heavy Load Member

Feb 13, 2014
    Winnipeg
    It depends which system is installed.

If it's an electric APU, the heat is produced by a integrated ceramic heater. It eats power and kills the batteries very fast. "They last half of the night only" is a very common statement on that system.

If you have a diesel powered bunk heater like Espar/Webasto, the heat is produced by the fuel and a fan is blowing the heat into the cab. This system should run more than a night and the truck still starting.

To claim in general that a bunk heater runs only half of the night and the batteries are empty is simply not true.

paul_4lp, NoBigHurry and dosgatos Thank this.
  4. JLMooreKCMO

JLMooreKCMO Light Load Member

Jun 8, 2007
    If you want to call me a liar, So be it.
    I can only tell you about my experience in a CFI truck. That I experience nightly.
    Didn't realize you were in my truck with my wife and I.

5. bavarian

Feb 13, 2014
    Winnipeg
    Did I call you a liar? Where?

6. JLMooreKCMO

JLMooreKCMO Light Load Member

Jun 8, 2007
    "is simply not true."

7. bavarian

Feb 13, 2014
    Winnipeg
    That's your chance to read it again.

Now, I have an Espar installed. It runs all night and the truck still starts in the morning.
    Are you you calling me a liar now just because my experience is different from yours?

Unfortunately I don't have a witness with me. My wife is at home. She blends in so nicely with the furniture.

NoBigHurry Thanks this.
  8. Ultratowel

Ultratowel Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2017
    Lol surfer has complained on my threads too. But I did almost 3200 miles my first week. And with how much I’m running I don’t have much time for tb or anything anyways tbh to need to worry about an apu for extra power. I’m able to get done with what I need nice and quickly then just pass out from running so hard (which is a good thing)

Gambosa and paul_4lp Thank this.
  9. darknessesedge

darknessesedge Medium Load Member

Jul 8, 2013
    sounds like my own experience

10. Metalhead5052

Metalhead5052 Light Load Member

Nov 18, 2012
    how do u work 90 hours or more a week really get over it if your laying in sleeper or doin non trucking stuff its not work

11. free spirited1

free spirited1 Heavy Load Member

Mar 18, 2012
    USA
    Driven here many years at CFI, Conway, XPO, and now back to CFI via transforce...lol...it's like this I have a mid size 2.6 cu.ft fridge with small freezer compartment 115 volt, George Foreman grill, toaster, and combo rice cooker/steamer, 700 watt microwave,run one at a time execept i never unplug/shut my fridge off, all my appliances are 115 volt, never a problem. Batteries replaced like every 1-1/2 to 2 yrs. yeah im a good cook you might say but like to stop wherever I want and have a good meal, not to mention healthier dishes and the savings. That being said 2016 T680 with 1500 watt inverter, NO APUs here at CFI, their just to cheap to be honest..lol...as far as bunk heater I can run mine on 68 to 70 runs all night no issue. The right way though for especially OTR trucks is an APU, 2500 or 3000 watt inverter, throw in a factory installed fridge. CFI basically has a minimum 1500 watt inverter and Sirius satellite radio/paid subscription, bunk heater in their trucks to date, if your looking for driver comfort creature features. ..this is it. To retain drivers they need to add it all IMO. The market is tightening ever so much for especially experienced drivers, so demands from drivers is also, and companies are starting to compete for not just driver pay but also equipment and driver creature comforts. So do your investigating first, and don't be shy about it either...lol

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
    GrumpyJoe and paul_4lp Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.