Do I have to itemize my per diem

Discussion in 'Trucker Taxes and Truck Financing' started by Mr biggs, Nov 21, 2016.

1. Mr biggs

Mr biggs Light Load Member

Aug 18, 2016
    right near the beach
    This is the first time I'm taking per diem while doing my taxes. my old company had always factored it in in each check, I'm not sure if I take the standard deduction then add the per diem or itemize because my per diem will be more than S.D.. is per diem considered a deduction or just non taxable income. I'm a company driver.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ExOTR

ExOTR Windshield Chipper Extraordinaire

Jan 23, 2013
    Fort Worth, Tx
    You have to itemize to take the deduction, and it reduces your taxable income.

crb and brian991219 Thank this.
  4. ExOTR

Jan 23, 2013
    Fort Worth, Tx
    To clarify- Are you on a per-diem pay package or are you regular pay and planning to claim per-diem on taxes?

5. Mr biggs

Aug 18, 2016
    right near the beach
    Regular pay I have to claim per diem at tax time.

6. ExOTR

Jan 23, 2013
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Say you gross 50k- You were gone 240 nights of 2016.
    63x240x0.8= About 12k

50k-12k=38k
    You only pay income taxes on 38k rather than 50k

Ooops Thanks this.
  7. ExOTR

Jan 23, 2013
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Turbotax will calculate it easily for you, so will most tax offices. Just keep a copy of all your logs in case you get audited. I was audited in 2009, I just had to prove I was actually gone 270 days that year.

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  8. Mr biggs

Aug 18, 2016
    right near the beach
    so I guess I have to itemize. I did not know that, I'll still make out good but I didn't keep any of my receipts so it could have been alittle better. thanks for the info, lesson learned I'm gonna be a reciept hoarder from now on.

9. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    That's the same year I got audited.
    Sounds like they were busy that year

crb and ExOTR Thank this.
  10. ExOTR

Jan 23, 2013
    Fort Worth, Tx
    You can either use receipts for face value, or use your logbooks(print off is fine for e logs) for the 63/day. Keep receipts for clothing, tools, cleaning supplies, etc. anything reasonable you buy for the truck is additional to the per diem.

Mr biggs Thanks this.
  11. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    For the record, it's no longer called a 'per diem' in the eyes of the Infernal Revenue Service. It's referred to as the "meal allowance"...Companies call what they pay (or the amount they calculate off your gross to get your taxable income) a per diem. It's worded "meals and incidentals" which means cost of the food, gratuities, and travel expenses to/from (taxi, Uber...etc). I know several people in other occupations that get per diem pay...in the eyes of the government, that includes their lodging expenses as well. With us, you get the meal allowance AND you can deduct a certain number of days of lodging itemized separately, even if you're in a truck with a sleeper.

But to answer the question, yes, you have to itemize to claim it. And like it was said, no food receipts are necessary other than proof of your time away from home (i.e. your log book.) This deduction is one of the few deductions where the IRS has been generous. Unless you really eat at fancy restaurants 3 meals a day, most would have a hard time spending what they allow us to deduct.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2016
    crb and MiRig2017 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.