Do they really not teach u how to backup these days ?

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Miketruckinginc, May 20, 2023.

1. northstarfire0693

northstarfire0693 Heavy Load Member

Jul 1, 2006
    AZ
    You cant expect them to teach backing when they cant teach driving.

Grumppy Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. FozzyNOK

FozzyNOK Road Train Member

Jul 18, 2007
    Oklahomistan
    I realize that this thread has all the super truckers having a contest on how they hopped in a truck as a toddler and instantly out drove Red Sovine... but like most trucker threads by truckers...... they fabricate and lie so much (especially to themselves) that they don't even know what the hell the truth IS anymore. If anyone tells you that they were backing marvels on day one........ like most everything they tell you. its complete fabricated nonsense. Trucking schools were NEVER designed to make professional experienced truck drivers... EVER! The fact that there were a lot of fly by night horrible schools is because BOTH the prospective drivers don't want to pay anything and expect expert comprehensive professional training for FREE.. and the industry then takes them uses half-witted morons who want a free extra log book to "train them". The industry is more at fault for the current crap status of the new drivers and no one else... other than the bozos who have failed at literally everything in their lives so they decide that might as well be a truckin driver. There are no way to hold anyone to any standards or professionalism... because trucking isn't and never will be a profession,,, (Rant off)

4. Big Road Skateboard

Big Road Skateboard Road Train Member

May 2, 2021
    I think all @Miketruckinginc is looking for is someone to ask how he's gettin his CDL without a school, and for free.

He's mentioned it a couple times now in his great threads.

So somebody ask.....

tscottme, Hatt91 and Last Call Thank this.
  5. dave01282000

dave01282000 Light Load Member

Jun 16, 2021
    Ohio
    If he means getting his CDL through the company, check out the thread where the guy got fired and the company is still coming after him for 7 grand.

I'd be leery of calling it "free"

6. FozzyNOK

FozzyNOK Road Train Member

Jul 18, 2007
    Oklahomistan
    It was never free.. it was free if they complete their contract. And if they don't they are on the hook for THEIR training costs. The training was conducted, the people spend money and time training them to do a task.. just because they don't want to do that task is immaterial. This is the way the world works.

dave01282000 Thanks this.
  7. Grumppy

Grumppy Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    I dont think anyone here is saying that they (we/I) learned to back professionally in one day. The thread is a discussion (at least in my view) of how, just the reference to "truck driving school" is a falsehood... a slide of hand... a misrepresentation of what they actually do.
    Just like the OP's question......
    I agree with a lot of your post that its the industries fault that the system is the way it is.
    Personally, I believe that a driver student should have to attend a "Truck Driving School" for 6 months (just like a police officer, a fire fighter or an EMT) that actually teaches individual students how to drive a truck, the industry rules/regulations & provide actual physical training behind the wheel, on the road, actually dealing with loads/shippers/receivers.
    Then be required to stay with a trainer at a company for another 6 months.... minimum.

And there may be some truth to the guys your calling super truckers referring to they're ability at such young ages or the ability to learn these things so quickly. Or at least learning this stuff quicker than students today.
    Some of us older guys (from the 50's & 60's) came from an entirely different generation & era than younger drivers today. I did all the things you say in your post. I came up from a very young age doing things that gave me a lot of early experience that younger drivers today don't have. I was on a farm tractor prior to 10 years old. I was driving a vehicle with a manual transmission by 12 years old... yes, on the road. Yes, the first time I ever sat in commercial vehicle... and old international with a 10 speed (5 speed with a dog)... I was taken to the truck & dropped off with the keys & was told; "take this truck to my ranch" & drove it about 20 miles across the parish (county).

It didn't take a lot of training for us. We came up doing things that were physical. We didn't come up sitting on the bed playing video games. We came up in a time where physics & mechanics was a part of our everyday life. We didn't have to be taught as such. It was how we were brought up. The environment.

We could reverse this & put our shoes on the other feet. I can't get the full use of electronics. I cant understand a tenth of my Xfinity TV or my old iPhone 8. But I can give either to my 10 year old grandson who has never experience Xfinity (cause they have Hulu or something) & my iPhone 8 and there's no limit to what he can do with that thing within a few minutes. Why?? because that's how he came up. He came up from a 2 year old, with electronics in his hands. Its all he does. Its what has developed him. But you know what? He cant back a 70 ft rig into a tight dock between two long nose Pete's either. Why?? Because he has no understanding of physics. He has no understanding of mechanics. He's lucky to figure out how to operate the door handle to get out of his bedroom.

Its not that I am a super trucker... we just came up in a different environment. I learned to do this stuff before I even knew, consciously, that I was even doing it. Just like my grandson with a video game. He don't even realize that he has to learn how to make Mario jump over a mote to reach the castle. Actually, he didnt have to learn it. He just knows how to do it. Its just natural to him. There is no learning with him for that.
    Yes, I probably learned it quicker & easier than he can, but he can learn electronics easier than I could.

Now....... End of my rant......

Last edited: May 20, 2023
  8. Last Call

Last Call Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2021
    Which schools teach them how to drive with their feet on the dash and their ph in their hands watching moives ? ..
    Cause there sure seems to be alot of graduates from those schools

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2023
  9. Last Call

Mar 15, 2021
    From the other thread he's got going .. I think he's fix'n to see what the most popular trucker movie is .. Then he's fix'n to buy that movie .. watch it repeatedly on his mom's big screen in her basement untill he feels confident that he can pass his CDL test
    He's already mastered American Truck Simulator

10. Star Rider

Star Rider Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2019
    Michigan
    If you go to his profile and hit media this is what you get...a lego truck, just sayin...

upload_2023-5-20_23-58-44.jpeg

Last edited: May 21, 2023
    Numb and Last Call Thank this.
  11. Last Call

Mar 15, 2021
    You reckon he's got a load of Play Doh in that Lego wagon ?

Star Rider and Numb Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.