Do wheel bearings show signs of wear?

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by AlpineBound, Sep 20, 2017.

1. AlpineBound

AlpineBound Bobtail Member

Dec 23, 2016
    Do they show any obvious signs of wear, excessive noise, seal leakage, or heat spots?

Is there any way with just a simple set of tools and a good eye to ensure that they are pre trip ready?
    Any and all input would be appreciated.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mark Kling

Mark Kling Technology Contributor

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    Wheel bearings are inside the wheel hub, do you plan on taking all your tires and hubs off during a pre-trip? that in itself is a few hours for this.

4. KeithT1967

KeithT1967 Road Train Member

Nov 12, 2008
    Springfield, Ohio
    On a drive axle you can check the axle ends when you stop for a break. Trust me you'll know if you have one heating up. If you have reason to suspect a loose bearing you can jack the axle up and use a pry bar to check for noticable play in the wheel end.

5. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Only real telltale of loose bearings during a pretrip would be a leaking wheel seal. An ABS light that won't go out can sometimes indicate loose bearings as well since the airgap at the speed sensor can be too much when the bearings are loose.

sawmill, Jazz1, Heavyd and 1 other person Thank this.
  6. KeithT1967

KeithT1967 Road Train Member

Nov 12, 2008
    Springfield, Ohio
    Good point. Twice I've discovered loose wheel bearings because I'd get an ABS light while making a turn.

7. special-k

special-k Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2008
    Southern Ontario Canada
    On the steer axle or trailer axles you can check the oil for a silver colour. When you can see silver in the oil you should get it inspected as soon as practical. Most people wouldnt do it as part of the pretrip but should be done during the grease jobs. The other thing you can do do is check the hub temps if you stop for a break after driving at highway speeds. Check them as soon as you stop. They should be fairly equal in temps. If one's a lot warmer than check it out closer. You can do the same with tires too. A tire that's low on air will usually feel hotter than one at the right pressure.

BoxCarKidd and Rackpass 85 Thank this.
  8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    The bearings Ive gone through are a ring inside the inside of the drive wheels. When they start going bad you will see conical bearing balls fall out one at a time until the ring follows.

Stand over your drives and lean over to where you are looking straight down the main wheel that holds both your duals. inside that wheel should be a ring bearing somewhere. If it's bad you will see it start to fall out.

We had a tractor that lost a ring bearing on a forward drive left side once. As soon I attempted that right turn into a busy Two laner, that dual tire set, wheel and axle that it was attached to started coming out to interfere with the oncoming traffic. It was out pretty much all the way when I got her onto the shoulder.

Turns out there was no way to predict bearing failure until it does fail. Generally speaking I would not have shared this story about my failed bearings if this did not actually happen one fine day. Silence in Dispatch for half an hour as they digested what happened to the tractor and what will need to be done right quick.

The only other time I ever dealt with bearings is twice, first in a vocational auto shop where i learned to pack them with red grease and install. And did a shade tree super liner 500 mack drives all 4 bearings were replaced right there in the back yard with brute power.

That's all I have. Trucking has changed from the late 70's rubber seal that you have to pull and check the level and quality of the hub oil to sealed hubs today where you might never touch the #### thing.... used to carry a quart or so in a squirt gun can to feed them hubs now and then.

9. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
  10. tony97905

tony97905 Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2015
    Land of Ahhhhhs
    Huh???? I've never seen external wheel bearings in my life. Please explain how they receive lubrication but not be affected by the elements such as rain, snow, salt, etc.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
    HalpinUout, pigg and sawmill Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.