Do you do a full Pre Trip everyday of driving?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by hsingh_2, Dec 17, 2021.

1. jason6541

jason6541 Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    I probably park at a truck stop other than fueling or showering. Half dozen times of year. I run same lanes and know where to park that is peaceful dark and quiet. lots of drivers do as well

Pamela1990 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. asphaltreptile311

asphaltreptile311 Road Train Member

Jun 16, 2016
    What the #### is a pre trip?

Jenkins2020 and Chinatown Thank this.
  4. Jenkins2020

Jenkins2020 Light Load Member

May 28, 2020
    Looks like you took the words out my mouth. Gotta love how this forum is full of these unicorn drivers that do everything by the book.

5. Pamela1990

Pamela1990 Road Train Member

Nov 7, 2021
    B.C. Canada

Like you, I would park almost anywhere but a truck stop.
    Dark and quiet is the way to go.

ProfessionalNoticer and jason6541 Thank this.
  6. jason6541

jason6541 Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    Oh come on. Nothing like waking up to truck rocking and the sickening sound of free body work. While ####### 90 day wonder looks at you like your stupid, for being upset that he or she just ripped the truck apart.
    nose first back row of I must park at demolition derby travel center.

Pamela1990 Thanks this.
  7. shatteredsquare

shatteredsquare Road Train Member

May 23, 2014
    middle dirt
    I either do a full pre trip before starting or I schedule an extra block of time to stop right after starting to fix what I didn't gaf about checking before starting

8. Elroythekid

Elroythekid Road Train Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Halifax Nova Scotia
    This saved me a lot of typing... see above. Lol
    I will add, I have a lazer temp gun, a hot tire is low on pressure or the plus are coming apart, hot hub is a bad bearing or dragging brake, great tool takes a minute to walk around and take temps.

hsingh_2 and xsetra Thank this.
  9. RedForeman

RedForeman Momentum Conservationist

Jan 30, 2011
    Once upon a time there was a lesson for kids about "which one of these things doesn't belong." It would be a panel of 4 or so pictures of related items with one obviously appearing different. That is the nature of a pre-trip. If you aren't good at puzzles, or just not in the least mechanically apt, you should be using a checklist.

Not gonna lie. Some days it's just too darn cold, wet, icy and I do a pre-trip lite and GTFO down the road. But I know my equipment, do frequent walk arounds, and have a sharp eye for developing problems.

Here's a good one. How many drivers have you seen checking air pressure on a trailer equipped with an inflation system? How many do you think even know how to do it? I've also learned some expensive lessons about trailer tire inflation systems. After 5 years of owning the two I have, I could probably pass the Hendrickson MaxxAir Pro certification if such a thing was offered. In that time, I've replaced and calibrated both controllers, all the hub caps on the oldest trailer, and most recently a combo fail: PPV on the air tank plus wired in a new indicator light.

Moral of the story is: with my massive sample of two trailers, I can think of a dozen occasions in five years where the inflation system suffered a potentially tire ending failure. Now think again about how many people even know how to check the tire pressure on one, and multiply that by every trailer you see passing by on the road. It solves the mystery of all those tire service trucks hard at work on the side of the road, for sure.

Another mistake I seen in a few responses is: I got newer equipment and never find anything so don't look as often or as closely. Here's a fun story from two days ago. This is on the one year old truck with 120k miles on it, that my son drives. One steer tire had some weird wear that will address later with the dealer. I decided to just get two new ones put on. Prior to driving to the tire shop, I had done a pre-trip and actually a thorough one since it wasn't my usual ride.

So I'm there watching this young dude working harder than I'll never do again, busting the tires. And I take advantage of the wheels off to inspect brake pads and whatnot. I see this. Not really even visible when doing a walk around with the wheel mounted and on the ground, but definitely more than just dirt. I move in for a closer look and see one or two of the bolts are visually not as tight as the others. Hub oil is at the fill line, so didn't catch my attention on my pre-trip.

20211216_095914.jpg

Having seen that, of course a closer look at the other side is warranted. See anything wrong with this picture?

20211216_100542.jpg

Even less seepage and oil level also full, offering no clue. With the wheel on, I would have had to kneel down and shine a light in there to see it. I would have gotten mad at my son for missing it, if I hadn't also missed it myself. Just think how this problem would eventually develop into something more.

I elected not to tamper with it at the tire shop (5 miles away from where I park) to avoid disturbing the remaining seal and having a bigger issue right there and tie up their bay with it. Once parked, I went to the hardware store and got two sets of new bolts and lock washers and replaced them all on both trucks. Then cleaned up the stain with brake cleaner so I can tell if they leak again. $15 at the hardware store and an hour of easy work including going to the store. Versus possibly a serious missing wheel problem on the road eventually. This is being observant paying off real time.

10. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    I pop the hood every day and check the fluids and the insides of my steers for any cuts or damage. I look at all of the brakes but I don't get down underneath to do it. Of course all of the lights and tires. I pull different trailers everyday, sometimes 2 or 3 of them in one day. I check them pretty close. Lights, tires, and being tank trailers, go up and make sure everything is tight in the crash box.
    You can get a lot of inspection in a minimal amount of time if you do your inspection in the same order every time. It's when I do things out of order that I tend to miss things.

jason6541 and MOBee Thank this.
  11. meechyaboy

meechyaboy Heavy Load Member

Oct 4, 2018
    Detroit, Michigan
    Especially as a local driver, I haul fuel and I’m lucky that I don’t have to slip seat but I do a very thorough post trip on truck and trailer... and for a pre trip it’s a pull of the hood, fluid checks and lights and tires… Every stop once I get setup and dropping I look over my trailer.. if my truck is in the shop I almost want to go home because everytime I use someone else equipment without fail I get stuck with something that’s a easy fix or a nagging issue that shoulda been fixed weeks ago. My cycle also gets broken and I do a thorough pretrip is someone else drives my truck also… they may seem like good guys but you can’t trust nobody

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.