Do you guys lay around all winter when the roads get bad?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Thatonenewguy, Jun 25, 2017.

1. lilillill

lilillill Sarcasm... it's not just for breakfast

Nov 7, 2007
    Possum Booger, Alabama
    Heck no, teddy bears are for girls. I stay with my stuffed monkey named "Frank".

xsetra Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Thatonenewguy

Thatonenewguy Light Load Member

Apr 9, 2017
    Dont do that, and dont try and supper trucker everyone else. Alot of people dont realize a entirely different from of hunting kicks off when the snow flys and also when the snow melts in the spring. Hunting cats and bears with dogs all winter is another sporting option on top of the snow machines and hot chicks on the upper class ski resorts. Top it off with some Fishing on the ice next to a grill... My mouth is starting to water just thinking about it. You and the brokers can supper trucker yourselves to death all winter, thats what real men do right? They supper trucker each other....lol Side note: super trucker sounds like stupid #ucker

4. Steel Dragon

Steel Dragon Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2015
    I've had guys pass me 80 mph on snow covered hammer lane..just dumb.
    Ever see 50 car pileups in july?
    I trust my abilities but not so sure about habib's.

T-BoneX and QuietStorm Thank this.
  5. Thatonenewguy

Apr 9, 2017
    Ya if i was the only one on the road it would be a different ball park entirely. It would simply be a matter of cheap skate brokers trying to drive down rates. The worst part about a slick road is your hampered ability to avoid a car turned pinball sliding across all lanes. Ya you know how to stay in your lane but when the pile up comes on is it all worth it. Can you avoid every jack ### driver on bad roads. Solution is simple, just take the winter off unless the rates double....

Steel Dragon Thanks this.
  6. Johny41

Johny41 Road Train Member

Feb 10, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    seen a bad one in August, 2004, East of Laramie ,WY up at high elevation I-80, fog and rain.

7. Thatonenewguy

Apr 9, 2017
    The rain can get real slick at any elevation, the snow and wind in wyoming is an entirely different animal. They close down the interstate because the wind blows the snow onto the road. Another thing that people dont take into consideration is how much salt the state road guys have put down. There is no way to calculate that, you may have a new guy one day and an incompetent guy the next. The first snow is the worst because there is zero salt on the road. I have seen it get slick at 40 degrees because of the wind chill, the cold wind blows the snow onto the road and it freezes at a warm temp. Solution is to let the rate droping brokers and supper truckers battle it out, take the winter off.

8. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    rates double in winter?

why do the rates of food and fuel exponentially increase in the winter and one needs to stay on top of that?

do you guys lay around all winter when the roads get bad?

if we did, we'd lose the truck, lose the house, maybe lose the family.

a truck driver, even an o/o needs to earn his/her money weekly to provide things for his/her family and to stay on top of ALL the bills they/we have.

now some o/o's maybe even a few company drivers, may take "some time off", like me example, i take"up to" 4 weeks off (at various times) during the winter, because i am entitled to 7 weeks paid vacations.

so yeah, i take Christmas week off and go back after or about the 5th of the new year.

then i arrange more vacation time with my boss, so he can get a sub-driver for my route.

but as drivers, unlless one is ultra rich or has busted his/her hump to get way ahead of the money game and bills, we work all year long.

we may "wait out" a severe storm and get moving as soon as possible when it is safe to do so, but lay around all winter?

i think you would need an office job, and even then, you STILL HAVE TO go to work...

until one hits a major lottery and can actually lay around all year long, everyone has to go to work.

this is not an entitlement job.

one earns time off, and one makes vacation plans well in advance, weather not withstanding.

9. mitmaks

mitmaks Road Train Member

May 16, 2014
    Have been working every winter, only coming back home for Christmas week.

10. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    but then, you come out of the closet..????...:eek:

11. rbrtwbstr

rbrtwbstr Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2012
    in the bush somewhere
    So, if I haul fuel into a power plant, and it snows, I'm supposed to stay home and wait for the power to go out because the power plant has no fuel to burn? Or I haul milk from the farm to the dairy, am I supposed to tell Old McDonald Farmer he has to dump his milk because I'm scared to drive in snow?

No thanks, not happening on my end. If there's a State of Emergency and the road is closed, I'll stay home. Otherwise, I roll. If that makes me a worthless supertrucker, so be it. At least I'll have some good stories for my grandkids. And I'll be able to sleep at night knowing I did my job when others wimped out.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.