Do you stop and help?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Ridgeline, Sep 8, 2023.

1. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    With LS , the sitting duck policy - If there’s help on scene I’m going on.

If I’m first on scene, or there’s a trapped human and a fire, or risk of death, then I’ll do anything I can to save them.

And legality or outcome be darned. Save lives first.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Only been in the situation once. Motorcyclist crashed into a ditch in a construction zone a couple minutes ahead of me. I was the 3rd or 4th vehicle to roll up. Offered assistance but they already had half a dozen workers from the construction crew down the bank working on the rider. Nothing much to do at that point. Sadly the following week there was a cross sitting on the hill there. I may not have been much help but my mind still thinks of that day every time I've driven past it the last 10 years.

4. jamespmack

jamespmack Road Train Member

Mar 25, 2014
    OH

Seen more than I care to remember. One of the worst was watching a grandfather and grandson burn to death in a pickup. There was nothing anyone could do in that situation fast enough. But it doesn't mean you forget or forgive yourself.

Just a few months ago, witness a mostly minor accident in my town coming home, just pulled left and blocked 2 of 5 lanes. Happened right in front of me, and had my daughter in the truck. Not a huge concern till the female driver said she was fine, but 7 months pregnant. Thankfully no one ended up hurt. Just a few damaged cars. Local cop about hugged me when he found out he didn't need to do a report involving a commercial truck. Anyhow, the pregnant lady car was disabled with drivers door exposed to traffic had I not blocked the road. I did nothing special, but it could have been much worse if I decided to just drive on by.

5. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I suspect there's a large societal difference between Canada and the US as well. You just don't hear about multi-million dollar lawsuits over vehicle crashes and there are laws in place to protect us should we perform first aid that is within our range of skills and abilities.

6. Ex-Trucker Alex

Ex-Trucker Alex Heavy Load Member

Jan 7, 2023
    The 7 or 8 times I've witnessed a serious accident, I've always at least stopped to see IF I could help. About half of those times, there were already plenty of people who seemed to know what they were doing already there, so I just left. One was a fatality, so I stuck around long enough to give the trooper a statement about what happened. But once, I was there on a bad rollover (station wagon, hit the ditch at 70 MPH, and barrel-rolled 6 or 7 times), and was able to get an injured passenger out of the burning car only with the help of my crowbar and all the arm strength 2 people could put on it. I've also given first aid when needed at an accident scene. When I was an eagle scout, we took a very extensive first-aid course, so I know what needs to be done...

7. jamespmack

jamespmack Road Train Member

Mar 25, 2014
    OH

Sure, we are protected here also. But this thread is full off excuses and pansies. Hey, if there is a few people on scene and helping, I'm no EMT, I would drive by then. If there is nothing I can help with. Also I'm no longer a FF, and have zero equipment that any other trucker has. However I'll do the right thing and take the ### chewing later kinda guy. It's called integrity, doing the right thing when nobody is watching. Testicular fortitude.

8. mustang190

mustang190 Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2011
    Florida Panhandle
    You beat me to it!
    Word would have gone out and other drivers would have blocked the road keeping those cars from getting near that fire.

9. mustang190

mustang190 Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2011
    Florida Panhandle
    No need for a long drawn out answer.
    IT DEPENDS ON THE SITUATION.

10. Hammer166

Hammer166 Crusty Information Officer

Aug 18, 2007
    ~8600+' and loving it!
    Wow! I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but WOW!

All of us want to be able to go home to our families, but I still gotta be able to look in the mirror.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.