Do you turn off reefer right as you dock ?

Discussion in 'Refrigerated Trucking Forum' started by Greggg, Mar 20, 2019.

1. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    In "my day" if trailer doors open, unit was off. Unit running with doors open draws in warm air. Think about it, a shipper shipping a "cold load" will bring the product out from his freezer directly onto your trailer (in a timely manner) and then you close your doors and start your unit. Some shippers/receivers have direct access to the freezer and some have that warm room between your trailer and their freezer. So doors open is OK if direct access from trailer to freezer. I once loaded magazines at a shipper (floor load) and the loaders wanted me to turn on the unit to cool them down. (july in Ohio) I laughed !

x1Heavy, Badmon, magoo68 and 1 other person Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. darknessesedge

darknessesedge Medium Load Member

Jul 8, 2013
    bingo....

ncmickey Thanks this.
  4. Nukem

Nukem Road Train Member

May 11, 2014
    I used to leave it running if I knew the receiver (lumper) was pretty quick. By quick I am talking relative terms; within 2-3 hours.
    But If someone decided to take TOO much time.... Well then, off goes the reefer. If someone decided to make a fuss and ask to turn it on, I would kindly reply, that if they paid for the fuel that was needed to keep them cool after 4-5 hours being at at dock, then sure I would turn it on.

That usually would prompt them to quicken the pace a little bit.

Sure a couple tried to call my bluff and say they would refuse the load, but as soon as I tell them that I've been sitting at the dock for 5 hours and will let the company know of the details...

Well, that shut them up pretty quick. Oh and I did get my detention pay on top of it all. :p

But I will say a scenario like this is few and far between... Most times I kept it running until I got the green light. (meaning they were done unloading and now needed to case count/check the load) and had no issues

x1Heavy, KB3MMX and Greggg Thank this.
  5. Misesian

Misesian Road Train Member

May 21, 2014
    Nothwest Arkansas
    Frozen loads, I’ll turn it off. Anything else, I ask if I can turn it off once they start. My new trailer will have a door sensor that puts it in low speed when the doors are open. Can’t wait for that.

Greggg Thanks this.
  6. Greggg

Greggg Light Load Member

Jun 30, 2018
    I guess I was asking because it also seems pointless and overworking the unit for nothing.

No one would try to freeze or cool down product with doors open. Basically with doors and dock open would mostly working out units to cool their storage.

I’m new but have already seen the difference of temp on my unit when the cold storage place have higher or lower temps right at their docs, reefer i got is older 05 and I’m new to reefer but I’ve already noticed a 20-30 degree difference on my unit depending on shippers/receivers doc temp which shows the temp we set it at doesn’t have much an impact on how cool our units will be when doors open backed at docs.

Having said that I’d rather keep my unit on and not get a claim filed on me.

7. magoo68

magoo68 Road Train Member

Jun 11, 2011
    st malo mb canada
    Many of the carb compliant carrier units will throw a code for temperature out of range when doors are open and reefer is running full blast too long... I had a argument with a shipper that my unit was operating fine when he saw the blinking code.. I pulled forward closed the doors and 5 min later it was at temp.. he tried marking on bol that trailer was out of range at pick up..

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  8. Greggg

Greggg Light Load Member

Jun 30, 2018
    Thanks guys nice to hear the side of some people that do turn their units off

9. magoo68

magoo68 Road Train Member

Jun 11, 2011
    st malo mb canada
    Btw I pick up at places that require me to precool reefer and back in with doors closed once they stage load on dock the forklift driver tells you to pull forward open doors and shut off reefer when you back in again

10. Greggg

Greggg Light Load Member

Jun 30, 2018
    My unit does the same too

11. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    Do you leave your home refidgeerator door open or closed ? Don't believe me …..check with thermo-king, they'll set you straight....

landlord and magoo68 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.