does anyone know how much is 3% of idling equals to hours?

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by kaly, Feb 12, 2013.

1. kaly

kaly Bobtail Member

May 6, 2012
    Gautier, ms
    i am waiting to get a new truck..the new volvos they have, it comes with apu...if it gets too cold or hot, i will idle..i cant sleep when it too cold or too hot..

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dna Mach

Dna Mach Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Texas
    He said he worked for Knight. The mechanics being idiots is kind of a given.

4. kaly

kaly Bobtail Member

May 6, 2012
    Gautier, ms
    knight sucks...#### knight....they dont care..i went thru the same #### when i worked for knight back in 2011

5. sedain

sedain Medium Load Member

Dec 4, 2010
    im home on the weekends for roughly 68 hrs thur night until mid sunday and i avg around 50% idle...when i am stopped i am generally idling whether its on my 10 hr break or when i am being loaded/unloaded. i am currently waiting to be unloaded and then reloaded and i am idling, without it i wouldnt be using the comp and its around 35 degrees outside.

if/when the company is having budget issues they clamp down on idling,and i would reduce idling if needed but i would strongly resist not idling when its time to sleep...i would consider finding another company and if thats feasible i would do that. they generally enforce idle times more strictly on newer employees, drivers with "seniority" have alot of leeway.

(its an otr company so i dont think there actually is any ACTUAL benefit on paper for having more time in,but managers usually give preferencial treatment to drivers that have proven themselves and have longevity)

6. Meltom

Meltom Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2011
    I'm amazed that the standard is 3% with no APU. That seems difficult to attain. With an APU that shouldn't be a very difficult goal to attain, most of my drivers with APU's were 1.7 percent or less. Some just didn't care and would come in around 6%, we also had two standards, APU and non APU. The non APU standard varied by month allowing more idle time in the summer and the winter.

7. wideglide13

wideglide13 Light Load Member

Jan 30, 2013
    Anywhere USA or Canada
    if you are talking at Melton Meltom when i was there with apu under 5% without 30% witch is ridiculous like the other guy post his is 50% and with taking a 10 hour break how could it b less ?

8. Meltom

Meltom Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2011
    I'm not. I had guys running 80 percent idle time at my previous company and I'd ask why. the dumbest answer I ever got was I have restless leg syndrome and I need the truck running to sleep. Another guy said he could probably take a few blankets off in the summer time, might not need as much air on that way. It is amazing what some people will do. I'm all for having a standard, but with the understanding that if something fails or there are extreme circumstances that exceptions are made for the driver.

9. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    If it's hot, cold or dusty I'm idling. Work a lot of road construction jobs, gravel pits etc . When their on a detail the Leos run their cruisers . So I run my truck as needed. ECM idle time was 70% last time I checked.........My fuel bill , my comfort .

Don't know how you guys can freeze or bake yourself to sleep. You have my sympathy .....

10 hours driving gets you 18 minutes idle time ... That's 3% .

10. striker

striker Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    my truck has around 9700 hrs, ECM shows 19% idle for life of vehicle. Last year my boss put an idle time of 10 minutes, ok, as soon as the idle shutdown warning pops up, I hit the throttle once to over 850 rpms and it cancels the idle shutdown and lets me idle indefinetly or I idle up to 1200 using the cruise switch and it cancel out the shutdown.

11. Night Train Logistics

Night Train Logistics Bobtail Member

Jun 20, 2012
    Fort Payne, AL
    Wrap lots a tin foil or a pie pan around the Qualcomm transmitter/ receiver out side your truck and they will never know that jack skwat,,, LOL ,,,Really it works,,,p.s that's a secret,,,

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.