does the type of freight determine the quality of shippers/receivers?

Discussion in 'Shippers & Receivers - Good or Bad' started by a-trucker123, Oct 30, 2017.

1. nightgunner

nightgunner Road Train Member

Jul 23, 2013
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    The only exceptions I have evercome across are union steel mills and steel distribution businesses. Lazy and rude must be qualification to be union these days.

KB3MMX and Coover Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Coover

Coover Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2016
    I can second this. Hated running up to Chicago, not having usual return load and then having to go to USS in Gary IN. Their supposed Quality steel isn't cheap, but their rates sure the heck were.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  4. DrFlush

DrFlush Road Train Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Upstate NY
    I have also have had issues with steel mills, seems half the people are decent and the other half need to prove what jerks they are, bought my own truck and problem solved, I don't go to steel mills anymore.

nightgunner Thanks this.
  5. LilBudyWizer

LilBudyWizer Light Load Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Some of it is paying your dues. Hum, well, whoever gets this load is going to be a bit peeved. So should we give it to the new guy that's likely going to quit anyway or the guy that's been here 15 years?

6. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    Cheap freight is a relative term. For a driver who bought the top of the line truck with all the bells and whistles, puts more chicken lights on it than a carnival ride, and has to do a truck wash every week to keep his chrome from pitting, then runs down the road like it's NASCAR practice getting 5 mpg, and then never shutting it off until he's home...$3.50-$4/mile might be cheap freight. But for the driver who drives a respectable truck, watches what he spends, tries to get decent mpg, and either buys an apu or idles as little as needed to be comfortable...then $2.50-$3/mile nets him more at the end of the week than the other guy...so, what really is "cheap freight"?

Gearjammin' Penguin Thanks this.
  7. Gearjammin' Penguin

Gearjammin' Penguin "Ride Fast-Truck Safe"

Feb 18, 2007
    Central AZ
    Amen. If, for some reason, I lost this gig and couldn't get another LTL job...I'll go back to tanking. I'll give flatbed a shot, maybe even OSOW(sounds unbelievably challenging, but that's what makes things fun). But if my only choices in trucking were van or reefer, I'd hang up my CDL. I've had enough stupid, mean and ugly from those types of places to last several lifetimes, and I've no intention of going through that again.

REO6205 Thanks this.
  8. JoeyBowman

JoeyBowman Medium Load Member

Jul 21, 2012
    NC
    Only correlation I’ve found is that if the shipper or receiver is in a small warehouse with only one or two docks it’s usually a good place to go to. They don’t mess around. Larger the facility? The longer the wait? If there’s a guard shack to check into go ahead and assume it’ll take a few hours.

9. AZ Pete

AZ Pete Medium Load Member

Dec 27, 2017
    I remember pulling into this joint in St.Lois or some other city built for horse and buggies, I don't remember, it was before 9/11 even. But I remember pulling in there with a Big Blue 53 footer and 379 Pete. parked in the street, wandered back behind this brick building with a dirt alley, built for horse and buggies, and found this 3 slot dock, barely enough room for the truck between dock and fence. dock at R angle to the little horse trail. Talk to receiver and they told me pick the one I want.
    Back down and stick the hole, start wandering around the warehouse looking for the guys. Find them in their lunch room and they all look at me smiling. "How goes it"? they ask. Well, fine. I guess you guys will unload me after your break. Then they all get confused looks on their faces. I guess they always took lunch while the truck drivers were trying to hit the dock, and couldn't believe I was already done.
    LOL.

jbatmick Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.