Doesn't anybody who has authority have sales people to get work?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by FloridaDudester, May 13, 2019.

1. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Not to mention, He could work as an Agent on % with very little overhead costs. If he’s got the Customers.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. GreenPete359

GreenPete359 Road Train Member

Oct 21, 2017
    Driving my recliner
    A good salesman is going to demand well over $100k a year. Not something a small player can afford to do.

Another way to look at is, after he garners your company the business you desire y’all part ways. No need for him anymore right? Now the oh crap factor....he takes his customers with him.

I can tell you this, New Centuries salesmen were in high demand about week or two before their doors closed. The joint i was running for was putting some work into one guy in particular.

Mike2633 Thanks this.
  4. JohnGER

JohnGER Light Load Member

May 5, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    No argument here, its not EASY money by any means... but as long as people want to buy stuff, someone has to get it there. So in my opinion, its right up there with the other big two.

Death.
    Taxes.
    Transporting Goods.

So I can see the initial appeal of it - as long as the entire country isn't bankrupt or blasted back to the stone age, logistics and transportation would appear to be a "lower risk" investment.

Mike2633 Thanks this.
  5. fortycalglock

fortycalglock Road Train Member

Jun 25, 2011
    Tourist Town, FL
    14% in real estate is STRONG! Keep doing what you know. Publicly traded brokerages barely make those margins. If you HAVE to get into trucking, buy an already operating carrier with 5-10 or more trucks, and a management structure in place. With the current down cycle, their should be some bargains popping up. I saw a 30 o/o intermodal company in Miami for sale the other day.

Mike2633 Thanks this.
  6. RERM

RERM Road Train Member

Dec 13, 2012
    Chicago, IL

Having worked in two highly regulated industries before, I would like for people on TTR to STOP saying trucking is the MOST highly regulated industry... ITS NOT EVEN CLOSE!!!!!!

Otherwise, I agree with everything else you've written.

Mike2633 Thanks this.
  7. Mike2633

Mike2633 Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2013
    At Home on The West Side
    Really besides hours of service it seems pretty losey goosey to me, weight laws are different from state to state and then a lot of carriers just get a permit and go for it. I don't haul super heavy loads, but really I've always been left alone in the truck most of the time I see the local police and other people kind of stay away and give me a break. One of are old time drivers at my work said in his 27 years at the company he was only ever pulled over by the DOT once and that was back in 1992!

8. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    What industries? Do you have your own authority? If so how many trucks?

Same question as above.

9. RERM

RERM Road Train Member

Dec 13, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Finance and law.

10. RERM

RERM Road Train Member

Dec 13, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Picture daily logs, on EVERY KEYSTROKE AND EVERY MOVEMENT inside the buiding in which you work (realtime). Additionally access to your entire (home included) electronic signature (enabled by employment and security contract NOT legal action). Daily records reviews + every action has to be pre-approved before its final (not like the movies or popular culture seem to suggest). Internal compliance audit every quarter + annual state + semi annual federal audits. Every word spoken to third party (customers) has to be either recorded (phone, email, text, written correspondence) and Logged.

All advertisements, speeches (internal and external) have to be compliance pre-approved AND logged... copies kept in both your office AND the compliance department. All business dealings have to be compliance approved BEFORE they are final.

Fingerprints kept by State, Federal and corporate compliance authorities and ALL interactions with LEO MUST be reported. Your private financials are tracked and audited. All third party business interactions have to be pre-approved.

In essence, you give up your freedom, you worked with smart (self entitled) ######## and with some of the most ignorant clients and regulators on the face of the Earth all for the devils bargain of making $$$$.

This is Finance at a Mid to high level (High Net Worth to Ultra High Net Worth range).

To this regulatory (government mandated) requirements, you add the Legal documentation required (contracts or in simple speech, third party CYA).

Midwest Trucker Thanks this.
  11. RERM

RERM Road Train Member

Dec 13, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    I can only imagine medicine, pharma, aerospace, chemical production...etc...

Trucking allows us, to spend most of our days in our own office (our truck if O/O) and be in our own (traffic, shippers and receivers notwhisthanding) bliss!!!!!...LOL!!!!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.