Dog tied up at Bakersfield Flying J

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by longbedGTs, Jul 27, 2017.

1. longbedGTs

longbedGTs Heavy Load Member

May 8, 2007
    Texas
    If anyone is there, check on the back row to the far right of the fuel islands. There's a field back there and a dead uprooted tree which has this dog tied to it. I was doing a walkaround before getting ready to leave and heard barking. The dog is tied to the tree roots but got tangled up. There was a water bowl 1/4 filled, but was out of reach, so I filled it back up and put it next to the dog. It was barking and growling a little, but calmed down when I got close, so I think it's friendly. Started smiling and has a wide mouth. Reminded me of a pitt, but not sure on the breed. I didn't have time to untangled it or anything and didn't want to mess with it if someone just put him there temporarily, so anyone in the area walk back there and check on it. Was 7pm when I was there. It was in the mid to upper 90s today and there's no telling how long the dog had been there unable to get to the water. Maybe a driver tied it up while he went to take a shower or something...who knows. I know some people abandon animals like this, so that's another possibility. It looked very healthy though and the bowl is a nice stainless piece, so I didn't know what to think.

OPUS 7 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. OPUS 7

OPUS 7 Road Train Member

Aug 13, 2010
    Please tell someone inside!
    Glad you helped it out,and hope someone gets the thing outta the heat.
    Maybe report it to a local cop,and get them to ride through,and check on it?

KillingTime Thanks this.
  4. longbedGTs

May 8, 2007
    Texas
    I thought about calling animal control, but again...I wasn't sure if it was truly abandoned or someones dog that they just put there while they were inside the truck stop. Also thought about telling the fuel desk, but unsure if it was someones pet. Hours have gone by now, so if it's still there, safe to say that it's been abandoned. I left there at 7pm local time.

5. KillingTime

KillingTime Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2016
    Rockland, Maine
    Bummer. I hope the guy is homed and was just put out for a minute... but I've my doubts.

Not CA related, but that is something that always stuck me about the south - the # of feral dogs you encounter... I recall sharing a tin of chicken with a beagle mix in SC. No collar; no tags, seemed happy as a clam wandering the truck stop meeting and bumming off of people.

6. navypoppop

navypoppop Heavy Load Member

Dec 4, 2014
    Winter Haven, Fl.
    It does not matter if a driver just tied up the dog for a while or not. It is just inhumane to do that especially in the summer heat. Maybe the driver needs to be tied up short of water or shelter. There should have been no question and hesitation in calling the police or animal control to aid this poor animal. You are almost as guilty as the person who did this because you did not report it. What if it was a human being needing help? Please do not turn your back or your responsibility to help. Our society has to become more involved and caring like it used to be.

7. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Things happen. Ac can go out. APU can go out along with a no-idle main engine.

A driver has certain needs to be stopped for a time and out of the truck. Given the lack of breeze in the California valley, leaving a dog outside is better than in a parked truck in direct afternoon sun.

At least I hope some of this applies in this case. I hope it's not an abandonment case.

Knucklehead and Big Don Thank this.
  8. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    I will be going through there in a few hours. Will check on this dog. I have some scooby snacks for it and will top off its water.

I had my dog on the truck for 4 years. Many times we would get out and walk over to the truckstop so I could go in and pee, I'd tie her up nearby, but it was only for a few minutes not hours.

Suspect Zero and KillingTime Thank this.
  9. longbedGTs

May 8, 2007
    Texas
    Thanks Scottie. I called the manager and told him about the dog and said he'd send someone back there to check it out. Here's the location in the red circle.
    [​IMG]

stacks and OPUS 7 Thank this.
  10. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    I know what I would have done I would have took the dog and find him a good home or maybe kept him myself.I have 1 cat I found and 15 yrs later I still have her.I found a puppy black lab in Elpaso off an exit.I turned my rig around at the next exit drove back and got the dog I gave him to a couple at a trkstop.

11. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    You should stop at a cattle farm and complain about the cows standing outside.
    IMG_4335.JPG

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.