Don't Know if This Is The Right Decision or Not. Any advice?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by DARKNIGHTRUCKER, Aug 11, 2020.

1. Gdog66223

Gdog66223 Road Train Member

Dec 30, 2017
    Coal Town
    Man who is this company? They sound horrible.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Hazmat Cat

Hazmat Cat Medium Load Member

Oct 18, 2019
    i told you to run weeks ago when you said you made $100. keep on trucking, it’ll be payday again soon!

4. tallguy66

tallguy66 Medium Load Member

Oct 18, 2018
    don’t know the answer to this but let me tell you. In my cdl class there was one guy from Texas. He does everything like everyone else trying to become a trucker... always acted like he knew what he was doing though and got caught taking naps under trailers...

two weeks in he’s sent to the office and we don’t see him ever again. Turns out he was on like his 6th or 7th CDL school/ orientation in a few months which he did not mention on his application. Like you said, he made it through all their initial checks and what not.. but these companies will find #### out. Weird situation, but he’ll receive a bill for $x,xxx now due to the fact that he lied and made it through a portion of the training/orientation.

bryan21384 Thanks this.
  5. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    By law they have to contact your previous employment for employment info. The request to not contact simply means "don't contact until you offer me a job contingent on background and drug tests)

And you never said why you currently work for. Yes, it may matter. Some companies are militant about the contract terms and will bully a prospective employer, some just want their money.

UsualSuspect Thanks this.
  6. DARKNIGHTRUCKER

DARKNIGHTRUCKER Light Load Member

May 3, 2020
    I didn't say anything about the accidents I was in before though, thats the curveball. I cant find a record of the accidents anywhere online and requested my new prospective employer to NOT CONTACT my old one. The only way they could find out is if they did end up having a conversation with my current company WELL AFTER the prospective company already told me they did multiple background checks on me and I passed them to be cleared for Orientation in 2 weeks.

If I make the wrong decision here I could be stuck with no job and scrambling to find something else in 2 weeks or less

Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
  7. Hazmat Cat

Hazmat Cat Medium Load Member

Oct 18, 2019
  8. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    My suggestion is to contact the school you went to! See if they can set you up with another carrier that will still honor your contract! The schools will do this.

Accidental Trucker Thanks this.
  9. DARKNIGHTRUCKER

May 3, 2020
    well this prospective company im considering going to pays tuition reimbursement. Its close to the full amount of the school cost but not all of it. I could pay the remaining myself in less than a month with a half decent paying company.

10. DARKNIGHTRUCKER

May 3, 2020
    Again thank you for the advice so far.

I might be leaning towards just staying the year (would end May 2021). Then going with another company once im sure my schooling fee is totally paid off , and just be upfront with them from the jump about the accidents in my first couple weeks.

11. DARKNIGHTRUCKER

May 3, 2020
    Dont want to say for privacy reasons but theyre one of the typical mega carriers that send people through 4 week schools to get CDL and contract you to work for them for a year to essentially pay it off.

You could probably find out pretty easily I think they have the lowest CPM amongst even the megas. And probably the lowest average reviews overall.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.