Door swinging sucks

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by nightgunner, Feb 15, 2018.

1. Justrucking2

Justrucking2 Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    You get it, and thanks. I never drove when I was a danger to the public, and that includes when I was a company driver. I spent two years with a "trainer", Jack Kimske was my trainer at Prime, my third outfit as a company driver. This is back in the early 90's, like 1990, LOL! We hit it off. Jack was there when Prime was hauling grain, and Robert was a squirt and Ms Vera ran the show. I stayed with him, in his lease truck for two years. Jack started driving in the 50's, Armstrong Steering, etc. He taught me quite a bit, and the one thing that stuck, the freight ain't worth killing yourself over. BUT! The freight has to GO! We refused loads back then, mainly weather, but that was rare. We drove it all, and I still have the stains in my jeans to prove it.

Bottom line, this was once a very cool profession with some incredible men doing the impossible on a wing and a prayer. I don't see that anymore, there is no responsibility out here, as it has been taken away. Now, the egg timer has the final say, freight and the folks depending on it be damed. Sad. Very sad.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. diesel drinker

diesel drinker Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2015
    Could you post link to your ad?

4. johndeere4020

johndeere4020 Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Ohio
    @MACK E-6 should this be moved out of the flatbed section? We have sections for freight haulers and Elogs.

Oxbow, Crusader66 and kwswan Thank this.
  5. nightgunner

nightgunner Road Train Member

Jul 23, 2013
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    I started this because I'm primarily flatbedder. I just happen to be driving my van right now because I no longer have a driver in this truck. And hopefully either I will have a driver back in this truck, or I will have everything sold within the next couple weeks.

6. johndeere4020

johndeere4020 Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Ohio
    I understand that, it just went south from there.

7. nightgunner

nightgunner Road Train Member

Jul 23, 2013
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    Security Check

Price dropped to $50,000

diesel drinker Thanks this.
  8. OLDSKOOLERnWV

OLDSKOOLERnWV Captain Redbeard

Nov 29, 2011
    West Virginia
    IMG_8267.JPG
    Pulled van, lowboy, single drop, and I've folded many tarps in the last 31 yrs. Some of the ones still folding tarps want to refer to us with Conestoga's as lazy. Time is money, we need to save as much of both as possible. I know some are company drivers and have no choice with that job. I'm not overly fond of the looks, but it sure beats folding tarps ;).

SAR, Oxbow, Crusader66 and 3 others Thank this.
  9. supersnackbar

supersnackbar Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Your Town, USA
    those are great if you own your own and maintain them right....but....as a company driver with those that get lubed when they eventually get by the shop, they can be a PITA. I work for a company that hauls glass on single and flats with conastogas (a couple different manufacturers), and I lube the ones I get, but man oh man, sometimes it's as much work to get those to retract as it is to unsecure the load and stow the gear...some days I prefer these

2018-01-23 12.55.02.jpg

(The tarps are mounted to the front and bottom deck...just have to slide the main one forward and drop the other to the ground)

And when I was a van/reefer driver, I was one of those who referred to conastogas as a lazy man's flatbed...and now karma is making me pay for every one of those misguided comments

Oxbow, OLDSKOOLERnWV and stwik Thank this.
  10. farmboy73

farmboy73 Medium Load Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Knoxville, TN
    I haul glass as well, although for a different company. I couldn’t agree with you more! A good Conestoga/Easy Roll is fine, but I refer to some of ours as the “not so easy roll” trailers. They are an absolute pain when the roller system does not function properly. My favorite glass hauling trailer is the double drop, specifically I prefer the ones that were designed by Metler. I believe those are the ones your company uses as well. We have more than one variety of double drop.

I have a mid- roof truck so the other downside to the Conestoga’s is bad fuel mileage as compared to the double drop.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
    Oxbow Thanks this.
  11. OLDSKOOLERnWV

OLDSKOOLERnWV Captain Redbeard

Nov 29, 2011
    West Virginia
    Yes Sir, they can be a PITA :mad: lol. In my situation as a 100% O/O I don't have to worry about every Tom dick & harry slam bamming the equipment. Plus it's brand new as of Thanksgiving with the rollers guaranteed long as I own it. I like the fact I can chain the load in the dry too ;), or at least in most cases. Everything has its pros and cons needless to say :).

SAR, Oxbow, stwik and 3 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.