Downshifting- How low do you go?

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by jmarc77, May 8, 2022.

1. rockeee

rockeee Medium Load Member

Apr 22, 2015
    Kalama, Wa
    Your not burning them up but your using them up.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dave1837

Dave1837 Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2019
    Pennsylvania
    Yeah using the brakes to come to a stop at 15 mph is really using a ton of pad. I'll downshift all the way to 1st gear from now on. Heaven forbid I use the brakes to bring the truck to a stop...

4. jmarc77

jmarc77 Light Load Member

Sep 17, 2021
    I've heard some people say they downshift through just the upper gears but I have one instructor who says she always downshifts to at least third, sometimes even second, which seems crazy to me.

Here's another thing- I drove a different truck today, a Freightliner Cascadia sleeper with a 10 speed. It had a new transmission and a new clutch in it. It was so much easier to drive. The brakes weren't so touchy, the clutch was much, much lighter, and it easily went in and out of the gears and the shifter throw was much shorter. It was incredibly different than the Internationals I've been driving.

5. rockeee

rockeee Medium Load Member

Apr 22, 2015
    Kalama, Wa
    Did not say you are using a ton of brake pad. If you are using your brakes then they are being worn down, weather your going slow or not. The less you use your brakes the less wear and tear.

6. Trucker61016

Trucker61016 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2017
    Linville, Va
    Ah hell driver, just grind it till you find a gear :D:D,

on a serious note, if you're downshifting turn off the engine brake because it'll make your rpm drop faster and you're more likely to miss a gear....

jmarc77 Thanks this.
  7. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    I say backshift a couple gears, but not 10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2 I mean, you dont start in grand-ma and shift 2-3-4-5-6-7 etc when empty bob tailing thru a truck stop, right ? Actually, you could, and more than likely you'd hit that jake at the stop sign. ! Which brings up another question....since almost all trucks are now autos (as has been said on this forum) you don't need to concern yourself with backshifting.

Trucker61016 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.