Drivers need to stand up for our own.

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by The Gunny, Sep 8, 2008.

1. RizenPhoenix

RizenPhoenix Road Train Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Santa Cruz, CA
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. reefer75

reefer75 Medium Load Member

Feb 26, 2011
    midwest
    This industry is just failing...compared to back when(the true truck drivers will know I only know from my grandpa)trucking was a brotherhood kind of just an unwritten law.
    See another driver broke down or saying on the c.b. he needs a little help you don't turn down your c.b. And keep driving!
    But know that's exactly what your supposed to do but guess that's just change.
    case example i was going north bound on I55 plenty of trucks going south.
    south bound driver needed a jump i turned around helped him went on my way out of 20 some odd trucks going south nobody stopped and i really doubt they all had there radios off. JUST MY 2 CENTS BEFORE YOU ALL START GETTING HUFFY ABOUT IT!

AfterShock Thanks this.
  4. AfterShock

AfterShock Road Train Member

Sep 19, 2007
    Inland Empire, California
    The difference betwixt a fairy tail and a trucker story is;
    a fairy tail starts out with 'Once Upon A Time'
    and a trucker story starts out; 'Y'all Ain't Gonna Believe This S _ _ t'.

Back in the day there were fewer vehicles on the roads and even the roads were fewer, --- especially if Grandpa was drivin' before the Interstate Highway system was built. Even after the Interstate highways were in place, repair facilities for Big trucks were few and far between, as were pay phones, and road service was usually unavailable, Big truck truck drivers depended on each other for assistance.
    Quite a contrast to what we have today.

Imagine, if you will, bein' an experienced Big truck truck driver and goin' back in time 'bout 40 or 50 years. You're at a roadside diner with a group of Knights of the Highway tellin' stories, each Knight tryin' to out do the other. After they've all told their story, they look at you. "Your turn hand".

You start tellin' 'em about runnin' out west in the Summer without air conditioning for a whole three days, and how your cell phone had no reception in the mountains but your dispatcher knew where you were even when you didn't, thanks to satellite tracking and G.P.S., and mention diesel engines topping 600 HP, with electronic, computerized control that automatically kicks the horsepower up or down according to what's needed to keep the Big truck rollon' along at 70 MPH while pullin' a 53 foot trailer for a combined length of 73 feet --- and a few inches, --- and as you begin to tell 'em 'bout anti-lock brakes and automatic transmissions and eighty-thousand pound weight limits, --- one of the Knights stands up to declare B.S., or Bovine Excrement!! To which the other Knights agree. "In your dreams, maybe", you're told. "Big truck truckin' ain't never gonna be that easy hand".

You collect your thoughts, and mention that someday, nobody drivin' a Big truck will stop to assist another Big truck truck driver broke down and stranded out in the middle of nowhere. At which point they all get up and leave laughin'. "You win hand --- just keep that whiskey bottle well hidden if Deputy Fife stops you to chat. See ya round."

That's exactly what it is, --- "change". Now-a-daze, many Big truck truckin' companies give strict instructions NOT to stop to render assistance for any reason, --- and no passengers are allowed, --- company policy. Get caught doin' that and y'all will be fired and your DAC will be dinged with a bad report. The only exception, --- MayBe, --- would be a life or death situation, but no guarantees, unless you're deemed to be a hero, thereby makin' the truckin' company look good.
    Bottom line, --- would you risk your job to help another Big truck trucker?
    Would they stop to help you?
    Considerin' the circumstances, --- should you, or they, violate company policy? [/QUOTE]

RALPHMANBEARPONY, Anarane and Mic Thank this.
  5. Vito

Vito Heavy Load Member

Jun 4, 2012
    North Carolina
    If we all try hard enough it can be more of a brotherhood.

While the companies have restrictions about stopping and helping one another, there's no reason why we can't stop improperly disposing our pee bottles at truck stops; nobody enjoys the smell and nobody needs to be wading in a puddle of pee while checking the breaks. That would be a good place to start.

AfterShock Thanks this.
  6. reefer75

reefer75 Medium Load Member

Feb 26, 2011
    midwest
    [/QUOTE]

very good points like I said still a rookie (20 years less your a rookie in my opinion) just never thought of it that way i guess:biggrin_25511:

AfterShock Thanks this.
  7. Dryver

Dryver Road Train Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Comrad Gunny, the world you live in isn't the real world, it will never happen. These posts come up every year and quietly go away because drivers are individuals and look out for themselves and the companies know there is a huge pool of humanity to pull drivers from. The big fleets would never let it happen, they will fire you on the spot for some fictitious diving violation. Sadly most drivers would love to see other drivers get fired so they get the miles, not the same camaraderie as 30 years ago.

AfterShock Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.