Drivers who have no house, apartment, car, or family: how much money have you saved?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by PowerOfSolitude, May 19, 2012.

1. NewNashGuy

NewNashGuy Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2011
    US and Canada
    I think everyone who complains about trucking doesn't have the right equipment to keep them entertained. If I just had to sit in my truck I would probably die of boredom. I have over 450 songs, too many movies to count, internet everywhere, people to talk to on the phone, video games, TV, streaming movies, a lot of sleep, walking around, checking out nearby stores, looking at the young hotties in their short shorts, I am entertained. Every guy I talk to who complains just has a cell phone and nothing else. I am also surprised at the truckers who park out in the middle of nowhere. I always manage to find cool truck parking near nice restaurants or stores.

scottied67, Onetruckpony and SheepDog Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    Another BFI's ideal driver . Money doesn't matter so they work for substandard wages that allow BFI's to set cutthroat rates and put drivers out of work that need money to pay for a house , car , and family .
    Too many cave dwelling hermits on wheels out there . :biggrin_25510:

scottied67 and CenutryClass Thank this.
  4. Cranky Yankee

Cranky Yankee Cranky old ######

Jan 31, 2012
    Green Bay Wi
    in 1978 when i had my first truck till 1986 when i stopped i saw more bums in the buisness drunks and low lifes then i see today reentering this workforce. Regulations have cleaned up a lot of the bad drivers but the cdl mills turn out more improperly trained drivers then irresponsible people. Granted many of these don't belong in a truck but if someone hires them it is the companies fault not the persons These peop;e working for low wages are just trying to live too most would perfer a better lifestyle but it is what it is. I would like my 2 homes back and the $400000 year I had in 1994 but life happened. You wish in one hand and ###### in the other see which one fills up first

SheepDog, scottied67 and NDBADLANDS Thank this.
  5. Dna Mach

Dna Mach Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Texas
    No, I enjoy being at home and I do just that 3 or 4 nights a week. I've done my fair share of 9,10,11 day "tours" and now it's your turn. My well stocked closet is perfect for a few nights a week but too live in it? What a dismal pathetic life that would be.

scottied67 Thanks this.
  6. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    Companies couldn't hire for low wages if people wouldn't accept them . There are plenty of jobs that pay $300 a week people could take but they'd rather get that in a truck so they don't have to pay rent or utility bills .

scottied67 Thanks this.
  7. Cranky Yankee

Cranky Yankee Cranky old ######

Jan 31, 2012
    Green Bay Wi
    so your life is bad now because others will take a job for less is pathetic. I would rather drive a truck for $300/week then mcdonalds for the same my choice wasn't looking for justification from any of the other 500000 truckers on the highway.

8. skokz

skokz Light Load Member

Jun 23, 2011
    Garner, NC
    Back on subject, im home every 5 to 7 days and for saving I put away 2000 in savings every month after expenses. It also helps that I only spend 1000 to 1500 every month on bills and having fun.

scottied67 Thanks this.
  9. j3411

j3411 Medium Load Member

Jul 31, 2010
    Buckner, Il
    Living out of a truck should be a temporary part of plan. Not really a life long ambition. It will wear on you as time goes by. If your lifestyle will allow you to just drift awhile till you find your ground it can be done. Like other posters have said you need to be able to sustain a level of entertainment and amusement for your sanity. You can run as hard as you're allowed for a bit, find a sweet place to spend a weekend and get a room.

If it's done right and with some long term goals in mind there's money to be made and saved.

10. 1nonly

1nonly tease-y-ness

Jul 2, 2008
    The burning sands of the SW
    Well, duh. If 2 jobs offer the same wage, but one has lower expenses, it would be rather stupid to pay higher expenses, doncha think? :biggrin_2556: :biggrin_25511:

The people with home and family made a choice knowing it would cost more. I made a choice to not have a family which means I don't need a home either. You made your bed, I made mine.

scottied67 Thanks this.
  11. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    Rather stupid to be in a truck sitting half the time for weeks at a time when somebody getting the same money works 40 hours a week for the same money .

I-80Trucker Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.