Driving over mountains hard on truck?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Jdm5jdm5, Jan 24, 2022.

1. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Road Train Member

May 3, 2016
    I don’t know about trucks, but they can be hard on under trousers for some.

JoeyJunk, Shawn2130, John E. and 2 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    What do you do when you do notice those things getting warm? Drop a gear and climb the hill slower?

4. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Make it work. Its built to handle it.

5. welldigger00

welldigger00 Light Load Member

Jan 18, 2022
    I’ve always ran this way on hills: I’ll find what ever gear it’ll pull the hardest and fastest speed, then I’ll grab a gear lower, and run the fan on manual. I won’t ring it’s neck, just a little under peak torque in that gear. I like to keep the rev’s high to keep the fan speed up, keeping as much air moving across the radiator, it’ll also help with keeping air moving under the rig, cooling diffs, and trans. Running down the same grade is typically a gear lower than I came up, and toggling Jake settings, from none to three. If you are doing in correctly, you shouldn’t have to touch the brake peddle.

Shawn2130, John E., MACK E-6 and 2 others Thank this.
  6. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    That or pull over and let them cool off.

7. Animosus

Animosus Medium Load Member

Dec 7, 2015
    SE Wyoming
    Having a manual fan override helps. Usually just turn it on at the bottom and let er scream all the way to the top watching oil temp and praying you make it. lol

8. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    If the climb is long enough the real enemy is heat. If you go up as fast as you can in the highest gear you can, then on really hot days you could be pushing your luck. Just run it one or two gears down, maybe three quarters throttle and it will climb all day without issue.
    I was climbing north bound from Phoenix to Flagstaff on a hot day, fully loaded ran it down a few gears and did fine. A pusher rv pulling a car passed me. Pushing it hard, he got too hot had to pull over and let it cool. Then he passed me again, samething. Then he separated the car, his wife drove that. Passed me again. Same problem, pulled over to cool it. Then he pulled in behind me and sat there to the top, he never had to pull over again. At least not until he hooked up the car again, passed me and never saw him again.

9. LoneRanger

LoneRanger Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2018
    If I’m not accelerating uphill if I hammer down then I’m in the wrong gear and putting a strain on the engine.

that’s how I look at it.

jason6541 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.