drug testing

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Nature629, Jul 31, 2016.

1. Nature629

Nature629 Bobtail Member

Sep 26, 2013
    I was fired Thursday by the O/O I drove for because I complained to much. mostly about him not fixing the tractor and about not getting the miles. he is leased on with a company. all paperwork and pre employment drug testing was done by company not him. two days after being fired he sent me a text saying I have to take a hair follicle text Monday if I don't show up it will go on my record as a refusal. can he legally do this? doesn't he have to give a dot number to testing facility for the test? been driving three years and have been clean of everything even alcohol. prior to getting cdl I smoked marijuana and he knows this that's why he set up a hair test. I don't work for him is this legal?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. w.h.o

w.h.o Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Chicago, il
    Hair follicles is not dot mandatory

4. TequilaSunrise

TequilaSunrise Medium Load Member

Feb 3, 2016
    Seattle, WA
    On your next job, complain to your friends not your boss...

tscottme and bottomdumpin Thank this.
  5. Nature629

Nature629 Bobtail Member

Sep 26, 2013
    so do I not have to go to this test? and can I report this to someone to cover my butt

6. Nature629

Nature629 Bobtail Member

Sep 26, 2013
    I guess when you have a bad steer tire or your exhaust falls off ,or you have an air leak you just keep driving?

7. w.h.o

w.h.o Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Chicago, il
    Do you have proof he fire you. Txt, letter, phone call? If you were fired, he can't tell you to take a test

8. ChaoSS

ChaoSS Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2014
    I don't think the hair test goes back that far, but that's not the point.

If you are told to report for a random you need to take the test as immediately as you can, not next Monday. A random is a urine test and not a hair test.

You might want to take the test to make things simple. What he is doing is not legal but if you are reported as having refused a drug test it is not an easy road to getting that removed.

9. TequilaSunrise

TequilaSunrise Medium Load Member

Feb 3, 2016
    Seattle, WA
    You specifically used the word "complain"....

I drive for a great company and I just swing by the shop and resolve any truck issues quickly and efficiently. I don't complain, I address safety concerns.

x1Heavy and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  10. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Dont be so quick to go on the defensive. Tequila gave you good advice. See, you are the one that messed up.
    1. How did he know you smoked weed? Did you volunteer that info? For future reference, KEEP YOUR BUSINESS YOUR BUSINESS.
    2. He fired you for what? Complaining? If the rig was unsafe, you should have jumped ship. Period. Who were you complaining to? Not him. Someone ratted you out.
    3. Go take a random drug test tomorrow. You will be fine. Not the hair thing, a regular drug test. It will be dated. And send that fool a copy. Be sure to tell him, "Goeth intercourse thyself" when you are done.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.