dual right turn lanes, onto a 3 lane road

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by carptransport, Jan 7, 2019.

1. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

Stevens Transport (Dallas, TX) teaches to use the “right lane only” if there are 2 or more right-turn lanes with the exception if there are signs prohibiting trucks, which is rare to see. This method prevents truckers from running over cars. It’s less costly if drivers run over a curb. Secondly, this method keeps traffic on your side and away from your blind side.

When making this turn, I rarely do a jug handle because frankly it’s not necessary. There is typically plenty of space when there are multiple lanes turning right. So, I drive forward as much as possible (yielding and keeping an eye on the cars next to me), then I swing hard to the right, keeping close to the curb—to not allow any vehicles to sneek in between me and the curb. This last point applies to one-lane right turns as well.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
    Reason for edit: Jug handle
    carptransport and scottied67 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. street beater

street beater Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2014
    cold as hell, MN
    Umm...

Clipped;
    , I drive forward as much as possible (yielding and keeping an eye on the cars next to me), then I swing hardto the right, keeping close to the curb.

That is the definition of button hook.....

Just sayin... :cool:

not4hire Thanks this.
  4. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

My definition of a button hook may be slightly different than others. For me, a button hook means getting into the left lane next to you. What I described above does not do this, but instead drives forward as much as possible (staying inside one’s lane), and then turns (hard) right.

————Edit

I believe I have been misusing the term button hook.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
    Reason for edit: Correction
    bottomdumpin Thanks this.
  5. street beater

Apr 18, 2014
    cold as hell, MN
    That image shows leaving your lane. Assume 2 right turn lanes and that means crossing into the next lane over. A button hook yes. Like i said

not4hire Thanks this.
  6. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

I think there is a bit of confusion here. For me, a button hook means getting into the left lane next to you. The image I posted before shows two different types of right turn lanes: one where you get into the left lane and the other does not. Now, of course, when you complete your turn you will have to drive through several lanes. That for me doesn’t determine whether it’s a button hook or not. Otherwise, most right turn lanes would be considered a button hook.

Ultimately, I think we are using different definitions of button hooks, which is okay with me. I just explain what I mean by button hook and what a button hook is not (for me).

————————Edit

I believe I have been misusing the term button hook.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
    Reason for edit: Correction
  7. street beater

Apr 18, 2014
    cold as hell, MN
    Well if your swinging into the left lane and cutting back to cover the curb... you jug.

Wheres my @Thull at? #####s!

Thull Thanks this.
  8. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

It may be I am using terms incorrectly. It seems like when it comes to right turns, there are only two ways to make it: button hooks and jug handles.

street beater Thanks this.
  9. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. street beater

Apr 18, 2014
    cold as hell, MN
    Don't mind me. Just a little ptsd from the OG thread on this topic.

PE_T Thanks this.
  11. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    The book says keep your trailer tires close to the curb for your right turns to prevent cars from getting into the squeeze spot.

PE_T Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.