Eaton-Fuller, 18 speed, Auto-Shift, won't shift into 18 gear, red light is flashing.

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by Mr. Cob, Jan 1, 2020.

1. pushbroom

pushbroom Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Truck has a RTLO1918B-as

In the first couple pages of the manual you posted it says how to retrieve active and inactive codes. Do that first and see what ya get.

chrome_FFp2VO3k5I.jpg

spsauerland Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mr. Cob

Mr. Cob Light Load Member

Howdy pushbroom,

I did this procedure, I tried it at least ten times. I don't get any type of code flash, what I get is a continuous flash as a constant speed with NO pauses. It will continue flashing at the same speed as long as I leave the key in the ON position. The truck will start, go into gear and move-shift as needed but the light continues to flash at a steady speed and you can't get 18th gear.

I am talking about a red flashing light coming from the top of the shifter tower, right below where the "L" position is on the shifter selector face. Should I be looking someplace else for the flash code?

Thanks for trying to help.

Dave

4. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA
    Hate to say this @Mr. Cob, but this may be beyond the help of the internet, and may require an actual shop. It the transmission is faulting (service light) and malfunctioning (no final gear), but not throwing a code...you gots a major problem. As in a "Time to consider a new transmission...or a new truck (God save you, good sir! Not something I want to go through again!)"

Mr. Cob Thanks this.
  5. Mr. Cob

Howdy brsims,

I hear you load and clear, thanks. I have way to much time and effort let alone money in this truck getting it the way "I" want it to start over again. So if I have to I'll bend over take it to a shop and pay the piper his due.

I bought this truck with the Auto-Shift, as it will be MUCH easier to sell to another RV operator when its time for me to hang up the keys, not many RV'ers want to drive an RV with a standard real truck transmission, in my mind the old style gen one Auto-Shift is the best of both worlds auto and stick.

I am hoping that disconnecting, cleaning and then reattaching and tightening down the battery cables will clear this up.

Dave

6. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA
    Welp, if you are set on repair/rebuild what you've got (which I fully understand), look into upgrading that old transmission for a later generation UltraShift Plus. Yes, you lose the clutch pedal. But the later gen autos really are much better over all than the first gen set ups.

I ran the old Ultrashift (shifter on the tree) and Ultrashift II transmissions. Man o Man were they garbage! Soured me on the whole automated transmissions thing completely. Then I got to experience the Detroit DT12 with all the options enabled. I had auto, manual mode, creep mode, and passing mode. A little bit of adjustment to how that transmission worked, and I could make that whole truck sing ever so sweetly!

Now I have my very own truck (well...mine and the bank's), with the Eaton UltraShift Plus 13-speed and I LOVE IT!. No clutch pedal to tear up an already damaged knee, and with a smooth touch on the fuel I can maneuver my rig just as nice and gentle like as I could with the manual transmissions. Actually more so.

I don't know if you can upgrade to a later gen transmission. But if it were me, I would definitely look into it. The technology really has made significant improvements over the last decade.

Mr. Cob Thanks this.
  7. Mr. Cob

Howdy brsims,

Until I bought the 2002 Freightliner Columbia, that had already been converted into an RV trailer hauler-motor home which had a gen one 10 speed Auto-Shift in it I had only driven regular 5x4, 9, 10, 13, 15 and 18 speed standard transmissions. So the Auto-Shift was new to me, I liked the Auto-Shift because it still had a clutch and things like backing up to the pin were just easier for me then the two pedal truck autos that I had driven, I hated the throttle-brake dance that had to be done. In fact the only thing I didn't like about the 10 speed Auto-Shift was that it only had ten gears and the gap between 9th and 10th was just to much for mountainous area that I live in and do most of my traveling in the western USA.

So when it came time to build the truck that "I" wanted not that someone else had built one of my parameters was an 18 speed Auto-Shift, to find a Pete 379, with that transmission in it was a long shot but after a year of looking I found this one, the rest is history. Most folks who use an HDT for RV purposes go with a Volvo, with the two pedal auto trans, I just don't like them, don't like the way they look more then anything else, I am an old fart who just likes a truck that looks like a truck, I have and will probably continue to pay a price for being this way.

Dave

brsims Thanks this.
  8. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA
    10-4 driver! Stick with what you are comfortable with, and enjoy the ride, I say!

Mr. Cob Thanks this.
  9. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Arkansas
    The older autoshifts, with three pedals used to have to be calibrated sometimes, dealer by Pete dealer near Nashville, Tn used to have a guy great on them, but that was 15 years ago.. phone call wouldnt hurt

Mr. Cob Thanks this.
  10. Mr. Cob

Howdy Judge,

Thanks for your reply, it’s something I can look into and see if any one in my area ( I am about 50 miles from seattle at the base of the Cascade Mountains ) can do if it turns out it’s needed.

Dave

11. Mr. Cob

Howdy All,

Up dating this thread so that I can share the information I have just found out. After cleaning and reinstalling the battery cables, everything worked as it should, no flashing light, the transmission would shift into 18th gear. However I am not easily fooled by electricity, if I can't see it or put a wrench on it I don't trust it, so I went for a test drive. The first 15 miles during which I let the trans shift automatically and shifted it myself in manual mode the trans worked perfectly, AND then the service light started to flash and the trans would not go into 18th gear.

However this time I could get a code to display, it shows #46 which according to the troubleshooting guide points to the "splitter solenoid valve or it wiring harness", so at least I now have a clue as to what it causing the problem. I have a good friend who if he has time this weekend works for the test facilities at Kenworths experimental shop near seattle, he has the knowledge and the test equipment to nail this down now that we have some idea of what is happening.

Because cleaning the battery cables temporarily fixed the problem I am really hoping that the fix will be in cleaning all the connections between the ECM on the transmission and the splitter valve.

Dave

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.