ELD Exemption for single truck operations?

Discussion in 'ELD Forum | Questions, Answers and Reviews' started by LandslideRich, Apr 27, 2017.

1. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Think about walmart

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Studebaker Hawk

Studebaker Hawk Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2010
    NW Indiana
    The ELD is not the only futile technology to try to "improve" driver safety. Sonar systems, lane departure, automatic braking, rollover technology et al, all either demanded by the government or asked for by the ATA and TL Carriers all for the purpose of dumbing down the job so higher and higher turnover rates coupled with less and less training and experience can put bodies in the seats for less $.

4. Bdog

Bdog Road Train Member

Nov 6, 2014
    I just got back from a two week out of state trip for work. I drove the semi 9 hours on two days, 4 hours on one day, and 2 hours on another. Basically just between job sites. The rest of the time I was just working there and driving a pickup back and forth to the motel. Pushing up against my 70 is a real problem as we work 7 days a week but drive time never amounts to much. ELD will do nothing to keep us honest as the truck doesn't move for days and I assume I just manually enter when I was on duty.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  5. BoostedTeg

BoostedTeg Road Train Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Boise ID
    Screw the ATA

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  6. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    I'll say this again, it is amazing that I make more Money with the eld installed in 99% of my trucks than I made with paper logs.

MBAngel and Western flyer Thank this.
  7. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    You obviously wasn't making money then to begin with.

We all make more on paper.

Even the mathematicians agreed 25% less income on eld

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  8. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan

Not quite, made good money (always have) but now there has been an overall increase of 6% from the change over. When we were under paper, we worked in that 15 minute block and it was a PIA. Once some of the trucks went over the ELDs, the minute by minute logging improved the times, the drivers ran better because now they didn't have to deal with that 15 minute block crap and we had a lot less log violations.

So yes overall it has been a good change. What the problem is for most is they don't get how to take advantage of it.

Who are these "mathematicians"?

Like them to provide the proof.

El Paso Bob and brian991219 Thank this.
  9. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    ELD's have changed the game. I noticed one receiver has changed their inbound rules, used by arrive no more than 1 hour before appt, now have changed to to no more than 5 hours before so we can get there and log sleeper and by the time we are unloaded we can show 8 hours sleeper. Brilliant, gotta break the law to be legal and compliant.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
    Bakerman, Bean Jr. and gokiddogo Thank this.
  10. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    I love guys like that who have to be the biggest S talkinest drivers in the diner. When they start spewing about single driver owner ops are elog exempt, I pipe in 'I heard that too' lol.
    'Saw a proposal that any single driver owner op with 5 years accident/ticket free will be exempt from all hours of service too.'

Bean Jr. and gokiddogo Thank this.
  11. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Listen to landline now on the trucker channel

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.