ELD Mandate....Any O/O's left the business because of it?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by SteveScott, May 16, 2018.

1. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    50 miles north of Rochester, NY
    IT'S NOT LEVEL. That is the mega's BS that you are eating. The ATA companies have thousands of low paid truck drivers and dispatchers that can't manage their HOS so they like this ELOG stuff. It helps them stay compliant. But they now have put themselves at a disadvantage because they can't run over HOS anymore and they don't think it's fair that they have to pay for the Elog and I don't so they lobby the FMCSA to make everyone run them. Even guys like me that hire a better class of driver. I am not self insured. My ins co will not let me hire an idiot. How is the playing field level? Wake the F up.

Spoken like someone that;s never run his own business. Do you really think I can't spend that moey elsewhere and still get the same tax deduction? Maybe increase driver pay to attract a better driver? Jeeeeezuz talk about clueless.

PoleCrusher, gokiddogo, skellr and 8 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    Thanks. Yeah SD's and DD's. Sorry about the massive size I can't figure how to get it smaller. I do hang out in NY but it's been a while since I've been south of Plattsburgh. That's Whiteface Mountain in the background. I think I remember Ballston Spa....the town with 5 traffic circles?

Opendeck Thanks this.
  4. Derailed

Derailed Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2008
    Upstate NY
    Yup, rotaries everywhere here. Been a few years but I use to pick up wood pellets out in Arcade which is where I might have seen it or one that looked similar to it.

Last edited: May 17, 2018
    rank Thanks this.
  5. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    It is BS to say that someone can't make a living because of ELDs. They make life more stinky and misearable - that's all - very little to do with money and rates at this point yet. I can tell you, there are real genuine ELD cheaters already, who laugh at those fullheartedly, who hoped that they would be wiped out by the mandate. They are like ####roaches, changing their DNA, mutating, withstanding yet another bug killers.
    They'll keep on cheating ... good luck catching them.

Post Scriptum:
    I don't even blame them... quite the opposite, I admire their boldness. I might do the same but I simply don't have to. Typically, I use only 35-40 hours out of 70 and run up to 2K miles a week. The only thing that bothers me is that 14 hour rule.
    However, I am glad that some of those ELD lovers - mostly indoctrinated by communist mega big carriers -the biggest hypocrites ever -who wanted everybody to "abide by the rules", are pinched in a cheek....and kicked in the ### as the outlaws that you hoped to hang on a tree are still laughing at you.

Last edited: May 17, 2018
    gokiddogo, Tug Toy, rank and 1 other person Thank this.
  6. UsualSuspect

UsualSuspect Road Train Member

Aug 14, 2016
    Yo Mama's
    The problem is the HOS, plain and simple. Mega's like Elogs because it simplifies the storage of the thousands of logs that are generated everyday, they see it as a storage issue, and if you look at the mega's they are all having to spend $$$ to replace all the non-ELD's they have used for years, and have until the end of next year to do it. Do you think drivers for the mega's can't violate the HOS because they are on an elog? They can, and do all the time, just take a look at the CSA violations.
    The problem is the HOS, and instead of trying to fix the problem, everyone concentrated on no ELD's, and lost the fight. I blame OOIDA for the failure, they sat for years on their hands and did nothing about the HOS. They knew log books were being fudged, falsified, made to fit my schedule, was on meth because I needed a few more miles, whatever you want to call it. Now that the ELD's are here, instead of focusing on the HOS and changing it, everyone is still complaining about the ELD's, once again failing to address the real issue.

PoleCrusher, Opendeck, Tug Toy and 3 others Thank this.
  7. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.
    IMG_2101.JPG

@UsualSuspect it IS in fact two separate issues. Neither may be an issue for you: that, or one may be and the other isn't. That does not change that for many both are issues for completely different reasons.

Opendeck, Tug Toy and rank Thank this.
  8. rogueunh

rogueunh Road Train Member

Jan 4, 2011
    That's strange, because the vast majority of truckers I see killing people out there these days....are the ones using elogs.....this has zero to do with "safety".

9. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    HOS change or not, I still don’t want to waste time and money on an ELD. period

10. Buckeye 60

Buckeye 60 Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2018

Bank_Lbr Thanks this.
  11. Buckeye 60

Buckeye 60 Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2018
    actually probably could run with 2 e logs if there was an easy way to switch them out .... have to think about it. ...... I have found most of the guys that don't understand the frustration of an elog haven't ever been without one ..... just the guys the scream about hauling cheap freight. .... haul the most cheap freight

Justrucking2, jamespmack and Ruthless Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.