Eliminate Hours of Service

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by RigJockey, Aug 9, 2021.

1. tarmadilo

tarmadilo Road Train Member

Dec 12, 2018
    They do that already. I worked for a company several years ago that got fined heavily and almost shut down after a DOT audit.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2021
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Team818

Team818 Medium Load Member

May 5, 2019
    I like my 12 out of 14 in 24. Max onduty in 7 days is 84. Must take a 34 after 7 continuous, increases your drive/ on duty time, you only have 2 lines to log, on duty or off duty, Sleeper birth is off duty, and driving is on duty, so line 2 and 3 are gone, line 1 is now off duty, line 2 is on duty. No recap or on duty not driving needs to be logged, PC is not on line 1, then like Gred Gutfeld says....... PERIOD.

The 70 isn't enough time with all the delays and the delays are just going to get worse. Thank you.

Reason for edit: Wanted to add to the content.
  4. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Arkansas
    Plenty of time for me, maybe you should get up earlier and avoid traffic delays...:D

bryan21384 Thanks this.
  5. Team818

Team818 Medium Load Member

May 5, 2019
    I like the simplicity of my Plan. On or off just those 2 lines of service, on duty 84 hour week MAX, no pc needed, comments section on ELD when duty service changes, driver types that in, just like the windows you use here, same type of thing, like fuel, unload, load, dot inspections, everything esle off duty, of all on combined duty. 12 in 14 hours per day, 10 off duty required after 14. The ELD marks your positions already, shows when you fuel when you swipe your company card, or however, if you pay cash its can be popped and will be, that's just a matter of time, use your receipts when audited and pay your fines. Super easy. Lets get it on with it.

6. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Plenty of time for the majority of the drivers in the industry.

Judge Thanks this.
  7. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    The problem with allowing 84 hours in 7 days is that 84 hours in 7 days then becomes the expectation. Look at this message board already when people admit to having a good life without using their 70.

Team818 and BeHereNow97 Thank this.
  8. LoneRanger

LoneRanger Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2018
    Go paper. That will eliminate your HOS

Team818 Thanks this.
  9. BeHereNow97

BeHereNow97 Heavy Load Member

Sep 15, 2020
    Yep. People think overworking drivers only comes from some of the notorious bad OTR mega companies. That's wrong. I worked LTL and they do the same thing to P&D drivers in regards to overworking them. They seem be perfectly fine with forcing drivers to work 13 - 14 hour days day after day after day. If you want to work that many hours per day, that should be by choice (and indeed many linehaul drivers choose to work that many hours on the high dollar high mile runs). But 13-14 hour days shouldn't be forced.

If the HOS rules went away I could easily see some local companies, and the ones that are considered good or "high standard", as wanting to work their local drivers 16 hour days if there were no HOS rules.

HOS are there to protect workers from being abused. They need to stay and should stay. I would absolutely leave the industry if they went away.

10. MIT

MIT Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2018
    I’m just guessing but I think eliminating HOS rules would cause rates to fall and fuel prices along with insurance prices to increase.

11. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    I don't see HOS rules ever going away. What I do see, and what we need to guard against if we can, is even more restrictive HOS.

alds, Bean Jr. and Team818 Thank this.
  12. Ffx95

Ffx95 Road Train Member

May 18, 2017
    You remove HoS rules then you’ll definitely see crash increases as more and more people start pushing theirselves too much either by carelessness or being pressured by dispatch. Also I’d guess rates would tank since now everyone’s pushing for drivers to drive 15-20 hours and rest maybe 4-6 creating more truck availability. You have to realize that this industry is a very cut throat one and everyone is always looking for an advantage let it be less downtime, better fuel economy, cheaper fuel negotiations, cheapest place to fix the truck, cheapest anything. You remove HoS it’ll be hell on earth on these highways lol.

peterd and MIT Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.