Emergency Triangle Placement

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by MooneyBravo, Jan 22, 2016.

1. MooneyBravo

MooneyBravo Heavy Load Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Vermilion, Oh
    I don't know if there are any other threads on this subject so I thought that I would start one of my own on this amazingly misunderstood DOT Rule. LOL.... I have seen many triangle placement configurations through the years and I am pretty sure I can count on one hand how many I've seen that were placed correctly. I've seen them placed 10, 20 or 30 feet apart from each other starting at the rear of the vehicle. I saw one driver who had one on each corner of the trailer rear and the other about 20 feet back. I've seen people actually place one or more of them into the unobstructed traffic lane which is a good way to get them destroyed or cause an accident. I've seen a triangle placed in front of the vehicle on a divided highway. (maybe that's for the wrecker driver hahaha)

Placing your triangles correctly means that you need to use some form of measurement that will as closely as possible replicate that distance. When I walk, I have a near perfect 3 foot distance between steps and so I use that as a measuring device. My first is placed(10ft.) 3 steps and one foot from the rear. The second is placed 100 ft. from the rear or 90 ft. from the first. 90 ft. being 30 steps and then another 33 steps and one foot for my 3rd from the 2nd triangle.

The following comes from: https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/regulations/title49/section/392.22

On a two-lane road:

• The first device should be placed on the traffic side of the vehicle 10 feet (4 paces) from the front or rear, depending on traffic direction,
    • The second device should be placed 100 feet (40 paces) behind the vehicle, and
    • A third device should be placed 100 feet (40 paces) ahead of the vehicle on the shoulder or in the lane where the vehicle is stopped.
    One-way or divided highway:

• The devices should be placed 10, 100 and 200 feet from the rear of the vehicle, toward approaching traffic.
    Within 500 feet of a hill, curve or obstruction:

• A device should be placed 100 to 500 feet from the vehicle in the direction of the obstruction.
    • The other two should be placed according to the rules for two-lane or divided highways.
    Why is it that some drivers just can't seem to get this right? Is it lack of training or just another indication of Lazy with a capital L?

misterG, D.Tibbitt, Lepton1 and 3 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bavarian

bavarian Heavy Load Member

Feb 13, 2014
    Winnipeg
    Its already a task for drivers to put them up in a way they STAY up. I've seen some put up still in the folded position and in the hope they can keep the balance.

4. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    You got to give them a twist or they fall over,
    Plus most drivers only put 2 of them out as they only gave 2 hands,

bottomdumpin Thanks this.
  5. bavarian

bavarian Heavy Load Member

Feb 13, 2014
    Winnipeg
    And one triangle per step.....

scottied67, Lepton1 and bottomdumpin Thank this.
  6. camionneur

camionneur Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2013
    [​IMG]
    Bus driver in serious condition after hitting vehicle left overnight in 'middle of the lane' on highway

"A trucker who left a broken-down trailer on a Cape Breton highway was questioned by police Friday after it was hit by a school bus taking children to class, seriously injuring the bus driver and leaving numerous students with minor injuries.

Eleven high school students were on the bus when it came upon the trailer at 8:08 a.m. Friday as it approached the crest of Kelly's Mountain near Englishtown, N.S.

The trailer had been abandoned the previous night, said RCMP Const. Eric Latwaitis.

Trucker left few warning triangles

The driver, who is apparently from Cape Breton, seems to have left only two warning triangles behind the truck after it broke down the previous night, he said . . ."

Was that the issue, then?

7. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    The sun has been up for 2 hours. Bus driver is a Braindead and would have hit that trailer if 200 triangles were set out. But, because the driver is a slacker, and didn’t do this simple thing correctly, he will hang. Sucks to be him. Sucks to ride a school bus with a Braindead at the controls.

homeskillet, PE_T, D.Tibbitt and 7 others Thank this.
  8. Gumper

Gumper Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2018
    Butte, MT
    That trailer is directly in a driving lane. Why was it left there? I see no reason for it not being moved to a spot off the road. It looks like there’s a hill before coming up on the trailer. I assume the bus driver wasn’t paying attention until it was too late. Have three triangles wouldn’t have done much.

misterG Thanks this.
  9. FozzyNOK

FozzyNOK Road Train Member

Jul 18, 2007
    Oklahomistan
    Pro Tip: There are placement instruction on the triangle box...

homeskillet, PE_T, Lepton1 and 7 others Thank this.
  10. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    I always thought first one went on the left. Then the middle. The last on the right.

I don't remember the distance though.

11. dieselpowered

dieselpowered Heavy Load Member

May 16, 2016
    I hate to say it even if there were 3 triangles perfectly out the correct distance that bus would have still plowed into that trailer. Sad part the driver was lazy on the triangles or he would have been given more slack I bet. The driver was doing something prob yelling at one the kids sit down or something. I would have never left that trailer there like that in that area bad tire or w/e I would have dragged its arse further but I check my tires short of running over a nail wouldn't be bad. Drivers think because the problem happens that sec to park immediately even on the very top a hill it's irritating but you can avoid them stop or slow down till you can get over. with all, that snow around the weather conditions sounds he may be going too fast for road conditions.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.