Emergency Vehicle Weight Limit????

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by O.Henry, Sep 16, 2022.

1. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Not here either.
    Even farm trucks are exempt - any 16 year old kid can run a grain truck to town.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SmallPackage

SmallPackage Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    It would be tough on a vfd if they couldn’t move a truck to a fire or rescue because Jack or Jill the truckers in the group are out running routes hours away when Marty the plumber is just a block away.

4. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    i was a CDL instructor at 2 schools in my state. we had fire firefighters that were going to be "engineers" of the trucks, they had to have a CDL for what they were going to be driving.

here, the driver of a fire truck, is called an "engineer" as he/she operates the pumping equipment and the aerial ladders.

we do have a "few" volunteer fire depts here, but, i am not sure if the operators/engineers are CDL holders or not, as there aren't high numbers of volunteers.

so suffice it to say, each state is different.

SmallPackage Thanks this.
  5. JolliRoger

JolliRoger Road Train Member

May 8, 2007
    Mississippi
    My water truck would have been "down" for any specified excuse I could think of, that I thought I could substantiate if litigated later. My Karma is a Xitch to those people of that mind set. I not only get my knife in when the opportunity arises, I twist..... So, down me for my attitude... BUT, I always go the extra mile and a half to try to explain my position or help someone who just can't handle a situation. After I have tried to help in my way, or suggested a solution, and they are "obtuse", it is their boat that floats or sinks, while I go on about my rat killing...

Rubber duck kw and SmallPackage Thank this.
  6. Yousername

Yousername Light Load Member

Aug 30, 2022
    Those signs are prevalent around here. They are almost always placed at bridges. It’s because the bridges are deteriorating and have reduced load capacity. Emergency vehicle weights are lower than a normal cmv. That is because of the speed at which the emergency vehicle hits the bridge.

7. zodiacflyer

zodiacflyer Heavy Load Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Generally, Gov't vehicles in use for strictly non commercial purposes do not require a CDL. (Some exceptions are things like USPS tractor trailers, and county/city utility crew equipment haulers) but Fire/Military, etc... operating Gov't owned vehicles on Gov't business are not always operated by a CDL holder.

Mototom and JolliRoger Thank this.
  8. Mototom

Mototom Road Train Member

May 7, 2019
    Yeah I’m not aware of a state that requires someone to have a cdl to operate an emergency vehicle…

9. 201773

201773 Light Load Member

Dec 14, 2020
    I thought those Emergency Vehicle Weight Limit signs were about them stopping on overpasses.

Basically, if an accident had occurred on an overpass the emergency vehicle cant stop directly on the overpass.

10. Animosus

Animosus Medium Load Member

Dec 7, 2015
    SE Wyoming
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.