Endorsements to get, DMV Test Genie app

Discussion in 'The Welcome Wagon' started by billermo, Jun 17, 2023.

1. billermo

billermo Light Load Member

Jun 13, 2023
    Hi there. This is a spin-off thread from another recent one. I just downloaded this DMV Test Genie app recommended by Chinatown for practice with the CDL test (at DMV) and the endorsements.

I chose Texas cuz that's the most likely place I'd do mine. But you can choose any state and it has the prep material for that state.

I wanted to upload an image of the app's page where you choose which endorsements to study for, but the forum doesn't let me upload my image (and finding a webhost that's free and easy is tricky). So I'm just gonna type out what they offer right here.

I'd be interested which endorsements are useful to get, which ones not so much. I've heard here to get Hazmat, Passenger, Tanker, Double-Triples.) Here's all of what's listed (for Texas):

* Special requirements
    * General knowledge
    * HazMat
    * School Bus
    * Passenger vehicles
    * Air Brakes
    * Doubles/Triples
    * Combination Vehicles
    * Tankers
    * Pre-Trip

Chinatown Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Kyle G.

Kyle G. Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2016
    Eastern Iowa
    Keep in mind, the passenger and school bus endorsements will require a separate road test in a bus.

billermo and Harryjr71 Thank this.
  4. Harryjr71

Harryjr71 Bobtail Member

Jul 17, 2006
    also for the passenger/school bus endorsements (finger prints and back ground check is required also)...haz mat also requires prints and back ground check. all paid seperately

billermo Thanks this.
  5. TNSquire

TNSquire Medium Load Member

Oct 13, 2016
    Decatur, TN

You need general knowledge, pretrip, air brakes, and combination for your class a.
    I got tank, hazmat, doubles and triples straight out of school.
    I refuse to get passenger anything, i don’t want my cargo talking to me at all.
    Doubtful I’ll ever need or use doubles, but i figured it might be handy.
    Tank and hazmat will make you money.
    Often, companies pay a premium for those…I’ve seen 15 cents a mile just for having them, on top of base pay.
    Tankers generally pay better than most other modes. It’s also much more dangerous, due to slosh.
    You absolutely have to be on your game pulling tankers.
    They are very unforgiving of stupid.
    Turn sharply, tip over.
    Swerve to dodge a dumb four wheeler, tip over..
    Take a ramp too fast? Tip over.
    Dangerous, yes.
    Fun as Disney land? Almost.
    If you can think, have vision to see well ahead of you, and recognize situations developing, you’ll do great.
    Just keep your foot on the brake at stop lights…the wave will push you through the intersection if you don’t.
    Personally, i won’t do anything else.
    It’s always a challenge, every day is different, and not many drivers are willing to do it.

The_vett and Harryjr71 Thank this.
  6. billermo

billermo Light Load Member

Jun 13, 2023
    OK this is good to hear. One company I'm looking at does a lot of tanker, so I really should get that one.

Thanks.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.