EPA inspections on emissions true or myth?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by ScarfaceTrucking, Feb 10, 2024.

1. ScarfaceTrucking

ScarfaceTrucking Bobtail Member

Jul 1, 2020
    every day more and more people keep removing emissions, in todays economy and low rates its almost impossible to make it with constant emission problems sending you to the dealers.

every few months ill see some crazy story online about the EPA showing up at a scale or even roadside, and inspecting a truck either visually or connecting to the ecm (is that even legal) and then they fine the poor guy some crazy figure and force him get towed to a dealer and spend 20-30k to put emissions back on.

i have looked and looked and the EPA's documentation but all their enforcement is geared towards shop's and its owners that are doing the mods, i haven't read a regulation that says they can legally do all that to the o/o's...

btw im not talking about CARB or nj, ny doing smog tests on trucks that a state thing and they only fine you, im talking about some EPA goons showing up and ruining your life in 1 inspection.

true or myth?

Last edited: Feb 10, 2024
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    It's your job as the owner to keep your truck legal. So yes. EPA can force you.

Who took the truck to the shop in the first place?

The shop? Epa? Or the owner?

Siinman, JB7 and Last Call Thank this.
  4. Last Call

Last Call Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2021
    Are you the type of guy that if you did get checked by the EPA with a deleted truck that would be quick to throw the shop you had delete it under the bus . I’am guessing probably so
    Yes you are held accountable if you get checked
    Even if you get it deleted it’s getting harder & harder to find a shop to work on it and a dealer shop won’t touch it so keep that in mind .Also remember when you go to sell it there’s always that chance somebody might just show up you really don’t care to see slim chance but it’s possible I know it’s happened with diesel pickups

W923, bzinger, NightWind and 4 others Thank this.
  5. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Well, truckers have been breaking every rule that would bend since long before I was born. Truck owners are strapped with issues, and we all knew of that "renegade" company that threw all caution to the wind, for a while, in an attempt to "stick it to the man". Back then, inspections were few and far between, and we knew all about it, thanks to the CB radio and some very good trucking friends,,,we never met. Besides, cops had better things to do, it seemed. Today, I think any legitimate company abides by the rules, there's no more money to be made by breaking the rules, and consequences make our shenanigans seem minor. Today, there is so much more to enforce, and it's BIG business. Citations pad many a pocket, so best to follow the rules. Remember, truckers news stories are king for ratings.

W923 and Crude Truckin' Thank this.
  6. Freddy57

Freddy57 Road Train Member

Nov 29, 2013
    Mount Vernon, MO
    When I had my truck in the shop at Joplin Freightliner, I encountered one of those immigrant guys that barely speaks english asking me if I knew who to call to get his truck reprogrammed. I looked at his shop estimate in his hand, it was the cost of restoring the emissions system (DPF only) for about 15k. The shop saw that his ECM was out of compliance and flashed it back into compliance. Of course now his truck wouldn't run. I have no idea who does that so I couldn't give him any help with his problem. Best to just stay in compliance.
    For those who think being out of compliance isn't noticeable, there are two dead giveaways. First, the smoke coming out of the exhaust, second, the noise, you lose the muffling effect of the filters and any cop can tell a deleted truck in a big hurry.

7. FLHT

FLHT Road Train Member

Aug 2, 2014
    CARB in California have classes to teach other states what to look for with tampered emissions.

Moon_beam and Last Call Thank this.
  8. Numb

Numb Crusty Curmudgeon

Jan 30, 2012
    Charlotte, N.Carolina
    to answer your question, I have never seen EPA dudes at a rest area or roadside or anywhere, sticking a probe down a pipe.

9. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Arkansas
    IMG_6023.gif
    You sir, are non compliant.

10. nikmirbre

nikmirbre Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2011
    High Point NC
    Ive yet to see any emissions testing roadside outside of what I hear in California. The chances of you getting caught are slim to none, more of a chance if you run California ofter but, even then its slim. Guys say shops dont work on them blah blah blah...... I run a glider so I dont worry much about that. I know of 3 dealers who work on deleted trucks. Look through any truck paper or auctions, you'll find them advertised as deleted because thats what your customer wants.....

11. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I've yet to hear of a shop anywhere near me turn away a deleted vehicle. As long as you're not pouring out clouds of smoke I don't think anyone really cares.

Personally I like the emissions stuff because I can't stand the eye-watering smog from the older diesels. Every time an older diesel gets started up in the shop I go for a coffee until the air clears. I'm not breathing that crap in. I do wish we could have more reliable systems to clean the exhaust though.

W923, OLDSKOOLERnWV, Magoo1968 and 4 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.