Ever make or miss a turn and find yourself where you should not be?

Discussion in 'Road Stories' started by Truckerjo, Nov 30, 2007.

1. GuysLady

GuysLady Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jun 20, 2007
    The eye of the storm....
    When I was in SC with my hubby, we followed directions from the reciever.. made the first right, just like they said.. it dead ended and we ended up on a one lane gravel road, that was nothing more than a can of worms! With no where to turn that rig around! Had to back it out of there for nearly 2 miles!!!!! We had called for assistance, but once the tow driver found us, he said there was no way he could help us, other than to help us back it out! Took nearly 3 hours to get out of that jam!

It seems when they said "right turn", they really meant "left turn"!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. elharrison

elharrison "Iam on my way"

Feb 8, 2007
    WV
    i cant count nor do i want to how many times ive drove for miles and miles the wrong way

i hate when roads turn,if you are on 219 and you come to an intersection and lets say 219 turns left and another road gos straight , and for 2 secs im dazed, i go straight for miles thinking im still on 219

4. javelinjeff

javelinjeff Medium Load Member

Aug 30, 2007
    victorville,ca
    i read all these replies--where's the one for the wrong turn into the J.B. Hunt parking lot!:biggrin_255:

5. LuckyLady7

LuckyLady7 <strong>Good Luck Charm</strong>

Nov 8, 2007
    South Carolina
    That is really cute, javelinjeff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. Truckerjo

Truckerjo Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2006
    Indiana
    LOL that probably would be a fatal mistake for me.. I think that would probably give me an instant heart attack:biggrin_25525:

7. RoamingGnome

RoamingGnome Medium Load Member

Dec 1, 2007
    Pennsylavania
    just the other day in virginia i went east instead of west and by the time i realized it, it was too late. i had to change my route a bit.

8. RoamingGnome

RoamingGnome Medium Load Member

Dec 1, 2007
    Pennsylavania
    and of course this reminds me of the movie wrong turn or deliverence everytime i make that dreaded mistake.

9. bobobrazil

bobobrazil Medium Load Member

Nov 28, 2007
    In Front Of You
    Well, I pulled pigybacks for a couple of years and yes, I have made a wrong turn or two. For those of you that don't know what a piggyback is, it's when we stack two, three or four trucks together for transport. There is no such thing as backing one up...so you better make sure you can drive out of wherever you pull in! It was a great job, every night in a motel and when you made your last delivery you hopped on an airplane to another factory to pickup another load. I always called ahead to the motel to see if they had "real" truck parking!

10. ironpony

ironpony Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    Made a wrong turn one Friday evening off the Garden State Freeway onto US30... meant to go west, we got east into downtown Newark. Said to my codriver - Hey Frankie, need some help here!

Should of seen the look of pure panic on his face! Yeah! That's what we're talking about!

Couldn't turn right... low (11 or 12') underpasses beneath the elevated, little streets to the left. Kept on going, and finally found a couple of colocated wide streets to the left... two lefts and a right make a u-turn too!

Doo Dah! Cruising, downtown Newark on a Friday evenin'!

Qualcom instructions from my co are 50-50... they've put us 5mi from a receiver, looking across a field at the location. Let's not talk about transposed distances and left when they meant right! I always double check with mapquest or google maps, if nothing else, to famailiarize myself with where we're going. Less fuel spent on fool's errands!

Here's a note on GPS units... make sure it's designed for large rigs. We tried a Garman unit that wanted to take us down a 100 ft shorter route through a residential area with really narrow streets, instead of the nice wide 4-lane jobs just 100 yds away! :biggrin_25525: Handy to let you know where you are, but double check any routing they give you!
    :biggrin_25524:

11. TrooperRat

TrooperRat Medium Load Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Back in the good ole' days, well, I have lots of stories from "those times". For whatever reason (young and stupid mostly), I had always wanted to go down a hill with the truck in neutral, just let-er glide and see how fast she'll ride.

So, one day I'm approaching a hill on Interstate 10. Been down that hill a hundred times, knew it was straight with no turns. So - I let'er go. it didn't take long before the speedometer was pegged - past 110 mph. I really don't know how fast I was going until "it" happened. Didn't I say I was young and stupid?

A very large deer darted out onto the highway, looked at my truck and froze. I think my heart was in my throat, I was coming up on that sucker fast, and it simply wasn't moving. I figured going that fast, I would probably end up being toast. I didn't bother hitting the brakes, I was going to fast, they wouldn't have done much of anything. I did, however, turn off my headlights.

At the VERY last possible eenkling of a second, that deer darted back off the highway. I was "peeing my pants", what the bleep made me want to do THIS? I let it roll down the hill and and let it slow down on it's own - but you can bet I NEVER wanted to do THAT particular stunt again!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.