EX-Railroader, soon to be trucker===

Discussion in 'USA Truck' started by Missouri Mule, Nov 26, 2008.

1. Missouri Mule

Missouri Mule Bobtail Member

Nov 22, 2008
    Pleasant Hope,Missouri
    :biggrin_2554:Well being an ex-railroader a steering wheel and highway is a new concept for me, as well as other traffic (in my lane anyway),convenient stores,scales,being pulled over and lot lizards, lizards on the rail don't last long or anything else in that matter, If I hit something I usually didn't find out until I saw the stain on the front. Anyway, I'm going to try my hand at trucking, I'm semi-retired if their is such a thing and hit the road. I start my training at C1 truck driver training in Springfield,Mo. through Driver Solutions Dec. 1 or 8th their not sure,booked school I guess. I've read all the bad and good about EVERYBODY and am thoroughly confused. The way I see it no matter where you go, suck it up for your 1 year contract to get your experience and foot in the door then start exploring other avenues. If anyone has any info on C1 in Springfield,Mo or any other advice it would be greatly appreciated, Thanks.......

Last edited: Nov 26, 2008
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. walleye

walleye Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2007
    Land of Cheese
    I have to ask,........Why leave the Railroad for trucking??????

4. Missouri Mule

Nov 22, 2008
    Pleasant Hope,Missouri
    I've been at it for 21 years and im ready for change, My retirement wont gain much if i stay another 5.

5. Missouri Mule

Nov 22, 2008
    Pleasant Hope,Missouri
    It's also about the freedom you get on the road, the solo freedom anyway

6. walleye

Aug 21, 2007
    Land of Cheese
    But your week to week paycheck may take a big hit.....

Any advice for a guy that has thought about applying to the railroad??

7. Missouri Mule

Nov 22, 2008
    Pleasant Hope,Missouri
    I worked for a Maintenance of Way company called LORAM, I ran a railgrinder for the last 14 years with them, Its easy to get hired on but you work 14 hr days,7 days a week 8-10 weeks at a time before your 2 weeks off, rough and tiring job

8. Missouri Mule

Nov 22, 2008
    Pleasant Hope,Missouri
    I would like to start enjoying life a little more and trucking can give me that, even though you travel its still not as rigorous as the 10-12 weeks at a time (for superintendents). I would love 4 days home a month......

9. walleye

Aug 21, 2007
    Land of Cheese
    I was thinking you were with the railroad itself,....

There is a tresel maintenance company I have seen advertise for help in the past,..I thought about applying with them,...I just keep trying to stay off of the road...lol....I did the living out of a suitcase thing in the tel-com world for two years when I was young.....

10. MGASSEL

MGASSEL Road Train Member

Mar 27, 2007
    Co
    My dad worked for the railroad and he got a great retirement package.
    He worked for the illinois central gulf I think that was the name.

I think you are making a mistake going to trucking as alot of the days you will work up to if not more than 14 hours but they can not make you drive after you reach 70 hours in a 8 day period.

You will not see home for several weeks at a time. Most companies like you to be out atleast 4 weeks and then try to get you home.

Most companies would prefer you to stay out 24/7 365.

11. Missouri Mule

Nov 22, 2008
    Pleasant Hope,Missouri
    I got my full retirement at 20 years, i'm going on 22, I was on the rail on a average of 320 days a year, 4-5 weeks out will be like a vacation, If I'm home 4-5 days a month I'll be happy. I also lived with a 12-14 man crew 7 day a week, believe me, that gets very old, especially after 21 years of it.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.