F2F Transport / Farm2Fleet: My story with no happy end...

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by mp4694330, Jun 9, 2016.

1. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    That's OK. I didn't really take it that way @4mer trucker I got into a big argument with some Mercer driver in here a couple of months ago and just wanted to put that out there. I (we, some of us) let these things happen to me (us) for a long time without really doing much of anything about it. And also for a long time I did allow my enthusiasm for the job get the best of me in my postings for several years on here. So I guess in that respect I deserved some of the medicine I got. That's OK, I can take it, it's not the end of the world. I just want to see a friend get made whole again because I know he left on good terms with them. They need to step up and do the right thing then this will go away, I'll certainly be finished with the topic, and we can all get back to our regularly scheduled programming.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    The worse part of all of it imo is how many that had never been leased or involved with f2f that were so happy there were problems. Celebrating the struggles of others absolutely disgusts me.

4. xlsdraw

xlsdraw Road Train Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Winter Haven, Florida
    Most small business owners have been been burned a few or several times. I sure have. Downturns are inevitable. Humans are quite unpredictable in a financial crunch. I've had a few complete defaults. Consider yourself fortunate if you've recovered most of what you're owed. I've found that harboring bitterness is counterproductive. The guy will either pay or he won't.

5. RedForeman

RedForeman Momentum Conservationist

Jan 30, 2011
    Quite the opposite was my message. The longer that times were good, the harder it is to throw in the towel. The personal relationship making it even harder.

Hardly. It was a different market. You did the right thing, and probably encouraged more people to simply ask for and get more money for their work just by asking for it. You have nothing to apologize for.

6. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    And in many cases the guy that owes you is also a small business just like you and is doing everything he can to pay you. Not very many of us can say we have never been late on a bill in our lives. And quite honestly, that's all a settlement check to an owner operator is, just a bill.

CJndaTruck and HotH2o Thank this.
  7. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Yes. But you know as well as I , that 'guy', is you - or me, with a family.

And I'll tell you right now - I've never been late on a bill, ever, in my life. I've discovered lately I'm a bit of a Dodo.

Bringing it back to the OP - wife, 3 young kiddies , sole supporter, in a high cost of living area, a small business - yet what he signed up for ( weekly settlement), was delayed payment and had to live by his own means -

That ain't right.

A guy on his own authority - different story.

This story - a bit different.

8. double yellow

double yellow Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    State of Jefferson
    Sadly, yes you are a rare bird. Only 11% of Americans have a FICO score over 800.

And FICO scores are heavily correlated to serious delinquencies ( >90 days past due)
    [​IMG]

Grijon, Terry270, Oxbow and 3 others Thank this.
  9. blairandgretchen

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Yay! I'm in the top 11% !!!

Well over 800.

10. RedForeman

RedForeman Momentum Conservationist

Jan 30, 2011
    I'd respectfully disagree. Maybe you're a better man than I am, but I cannot say I've never paid a bill late. In the recent two decades I've been on point, for the most part. There have been times in the past where priorities had to be set, and limited funds being sent to the highest ones first. As in roof overhead, food on the table, and gas in the car to get to work and earn more money, before anything else. I own that, and it was a product of bad decisions of me and my ex-wife. It's a terrible place to be, and I think more good people than you realize have been there at some point.

But that's neither here nor there. A late payment is a late payment, no matter who it's owed to. The slave ship drum keeps beating whether you're leased to a carrier with a contract, or awaiting payment from a shipper who is also under a contract. Or whether you choose to take on certain personal expenses or not. That doesn't make it more or less right.

Grijon, Gereke, 1johnb and 4 others Thank this.
  11. blairandgretchen

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    True, and duly noted.

I have an advantage that I commonly forget.

I came to the US at age 28. The US ignored ALL records previous to that - so, my real credit/driving/ criminal history began 12 years after most Americans did.

By that stage, I'd figured out right from wrong, had my wild days, and was prepared to plow forth responsibly. No shackles from prior erroneous behavior of youth. Had I been born here, I may have been in a different situation. Perhaps that's why I view this country as one of the most amazing places to live on planet Earth.

There's been bills I've paid that I don't agree with, but knowing that either way, the cost was cheaper than the fight. Now, I don't need the credit, but have been 'trained' to the system - I guess.

And I haven't been burdened with medical bills, nor ex-wives or children, so I try to keep a check on my judgement of others in a situation I've not experienced. I'd love to have children, but it just didn't pan out that way.

I hear you - and thankfully remain humble enough to know that guy on the side of the road may be there due to unfortunate circumstance, or design - and approach him with both situations in mind, for I've friends that were felons, that would lay down their lives for me faster than the local suit wearing well-to - do.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.