Failed road test cuz I failed brake test

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Marky84, Jun 25, 2018.

1. Marky84

Marky84 Heavy Load Member

Sep 24, 2012
    Jefferson, WI
    Hey all. So Ive been trying to get into Old Dominion and I had a road test this morning. Failed cuz I couldnt do the brake test, ya know the "fan the brakes till the knobs pop out," etc. Failed it cuz I havent done it in 6 years since I did my test at the DMV. Told my buddy about it thats been at Transport America for 12 years or so and drivin for 20 and he said "yeah I havent done that in 20 years." They said study up and be back next Monday same time.

So my question is, does anyone have any advice on where to study back up till then?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Broke_and_Hungry

Broke_and_Hungry Light Load Member

Feb 26, 2008
    Michigan
    Marky84 Thanks this.
  4. bigmotor1212

bigmotor1212 Light Load Member

Dec 20, 2014
    Wow, I'm amazed a company made you go that far in a road test. I'm also kind of surprised you haven't done a brake test in that long. I always do one when I get in a truck I haven't driven before. But I cheat, I just let the emergency line hang loose, and push the valves in and watch for when the warnings start and when the valve pops out. Then fan until the other valve pops out. I think the test is in the CDL test manual. If not, I'm sure there are videos on youtube. Just check the sources. Good thing they're giving you another chance.

Marky84 Thanks this.
  5. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    They gave you a second chance, that means you're not washed out.

Read the CDL manual

Try my road test, it includes a lot more than just a air alarm test.

6. bigmotor1212

Dec 20, 2014

If I wanted to work where you work, I'd pass your test. I said what I said, because in my experience, companies don't do all of that. Some don't even road test at all. At some point, a driver's experience and record should speak for itself. I resent being tested for some things, to some degree. I used to work at OD, my road test consisted of hooking to a pup, and driving around the block. It took five minutes, no pre-trip at all. I didn't even drop the pup when we got back.

DTP Thanks this.
  7. 389driver

389driver Medium Load Member

Feb 25, 2018
    Upstate NY
    Maybe you didnt read Ridgeline's post correctly. He owns his own company. And when he gives roadtests he gets to decide what gets tested and who fails and who passes.

To the op, they gave you another chance thats great! You'll get it next time no problem. Ive heard good things about OD you'll like it there.

James122 and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  8. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    You will demonstrate that test anytime you have a Level 1.

I can offer you my clip board professional driver.

1529945395522-738377462.jpg

9. bigmotor1212

Dec 20, 2014
    No, I did read his post correctly. Now, maybe what I inferred from his post, isn't what he meant. You apparently have some familiarity with that member, which I do not. He quoted my post, and made a statement that sounded pretty smug and arrogant, and I might find my skills to be inadequate for his most superior road test in all of trucking. Possibly it was him, that failed to comprehend the context of my post.

10. 389driver

389driver Medium Load Member

Feb 25, 2018
    Upstate NY
    Takes one to know one i guess. I didnt read anything smug or arrogant in his post he merely stated that his road test is even more through. Dont like it? Dont apply there.

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  11. bigmotor1212

Dec 20, 2014
    I imagine because, it wasn't directed at you. Don't like something that got said that didn't involve you? Ignore it.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.