Fear Of Height, and going over tall bridges???

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Grumppy, Mar 27, 2023.

1. PaulMinternational

PaulMinternational Road Train Member

Aug 23, 2022
    I think my previous post might help some folks BUT I am drawing a blank on anything that will help with the fear of earthquakes!

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Arkansas
    Just shut your eyes and hope for the best.

FAB8948C-2210-4504-996C-FD61156CDDE2.jpeg EEE2C705-C649-4FAD-BB9F-FADEE6F0D3DF.jpeg 565D3272-A2F8-4CBC-926F-2857CA52B0AE.jpeg 3C42CF89-9C9E-4155-851E-7E8F677D7C31.jpeg 2DA85361-70A2-4110-B6DB-B6A3B475BADD.jpeg

4. Nostalgic

Nostalgic Road Train Member

Mar 6, 2017
    PA
    I have a fear of falling more than a fear of heights. Bridges don't bother me to drive over, but don't make me stand on the edge or over a hole through the deck. Same with roofing. If the pitch isn't bad, I can walk around all over the roof, but getting down to edge to clean out the gutters? Nope. Legs turn to jelly and I start to panic.

Siinman, YardMule89, Grumppy and 2 others Thank this.
  5. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    I don't particularly care for the bridges on and off grand island, NY, or the one near the border up near Alexandria Bay, between NY and ON... that one is steep, skinny, driving on a metal grate slippery in winter, and has a tight slow curve at the end... I'll do it I just don't like it. As far as wind that bridge on i95 in MD just south of the scale can be a bit of a white knuckle ride if it's quite windy and going empty.

6. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    Getting older, I dislike any high arched bridges but not those that cross level.

Same as OP I use the center lane and focus on the roadway until I'm over the crest.

Once I'm going downhill, I relax.

Back when I was a trainer, they didn't bother me.

Sitting on the right side in a conventional across the Susquehanna bridge on I-95 and when you look out all you see is space and water.

I doubt I'd want to drive over the "5" overpasses in Texas.

I really dislike the ramp from downtown Baltimore [by the baseball stadium] to I-95 North that takes you up over the elevated interstate and out over space before dropping you down to enter the highway.

Siinman, bzinger, MACK E-6 and 3 others Thank this.
  7. Magoo1968

Magoo1968 Road Train Member

Mar 18, 2021
    St Malo mb
    I use to hate a Quebec bridge that kept developing holes in it . In rush hour crawling across I looked down and saw water I’m glad they replaced that bridge lol

Grumppy, Rideandrepair and tscottme Thank this.
  8. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Don't be silly. That bridge between Arkansas and TN will collapse from corrosion.
    You have nothing to fear from the earthquakes. ;-)

Siinman and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  9. tscottme

Yeah, the "new" overpass near Hoover #### has high enough concrete walls you can't see anything while you are on it. I got to take a 53 ft trailer across Hoover #### in 1998 or 1999. CB is very helpful for that to avoid two big trucks entering one of the 4 s-curves at the same time. No time for sightseeing until after you got off the dam.

10. tscottme

drive at night. You can't see how far down it is. Or do like the new drivers and stare at your smartphone, you won't even remember there being a bridge under you during the day.

11. 4wayflashers

4wayflashers Heavy Load Member

Mar 14, 2014
    I read somewhere that with most people it’s actually a fear they could jump rather than an actual fear of high places. People are strange.

Rideandrepair and tscottme Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.