FedEx CEO Says Global Recession Coming

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by Waterman_99, Sep 16, 2022.

1. jtaran06

jtaran06 Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2007
    western ky
    Maybe he’s not wrong. FedEx cut Sunday delivery in most markets and weights have fell off pretty hard within the last month. I’m down to 4k and an empty a night on my run and I used to pull 2 12k pups back. My local pickup is Walmart and I used to have half a 53 because I pickup evening trailer and lately it’s been a pallet to a lot of empties. It’s slowing.

MartinFromBC and basedinMN_ Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. basedinMN_

basedinMN_ Medium Load Member

Jan 21, 2011
    St Paul, MN
    I hope some of you are taking note of what the conservative government in England has done in recent months, sending the country to the brink of a liquidity crisis. Turns out, Reaganomics is not a policy for all seasons.

And Brexit, that's going just peachy, isn't it?

MartinFromBC Thanks this.
  4. MartinFromBC

MartinFromBC Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2018
    A good start would be raising the interest rate to 15%, and then making it 3 times harder to get a loan, mortgage, credit card.

AModelCat and BoostedTeg Thank this.
  5. road_runner

road_runner Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    That would totally tank the economy. Consumers would no longer be able to purchase homes, which in turn would cause developers to quit building them. This would put an enormous strain on the rental market spiking those prices as well.

As for credit cards, those are the only thing for many that are keeping food on the table.

6. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    How many folks relying on credit cards to cover food send an easy $500 a month out the window on pointless crap?

The little things add up. Perfect example: how many folks buy a $5 coffee, 5 days a week from the local coffee shop? There's $1300/year. Toss in a bagel or what have you and there's $2,600/year out the window.

7. road_runner

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    Not just that. There are also automated costs that people don't even notice. Everything is now subscription based. It's incredibly easy to rack up over $100 in expenses like Netflix, Xbox Live, Google Drive, Circle K gulp club, and even Microsoft charges $100 a year to use their Office products.

The average person has at least 5 subscriptions wether they realize it or not.

AModelCat Thanks this.
  8. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I leaned out a lot this year. No restaurants or bars, heck I even cancelled my internet. I'm already paying for data on my phone, I'm not going to fork out another $800+ a year for home internet.

road_runner Thanks this.
  9. road_runner

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    Same. I can make most meals that we eat out for a fraction of the cost while also saving on fuel to drive to those restaurants. Two pints of beer cost about the same as a canned 12-pack from a store.

Ended up dumping my cable internet and now get it through my cell phone provider for about $20 a month cheaper. I really want to forgo it all together but we have over 60 devices in our house connected online and need the high speed internet to keep it going.

It's actually sad that we cut off about $200/week in discretionary spending, but still come out even cause all the savings get reabsorbed into higher grocery/fuel/heating/just existing costs.

AModelCat Thanks this.
  10. basedinMN_

Jan 21, 2011
    St Paul, MN
    A lot.

road_runner Thanks this.
  11. basedinMN_

Jan 21, 2011
    St Paul, MN
    When i was saving for a down payment on my house I rented a room in a guy's garage for $500/month. Not the whole garage, to be clear, I shared it with two other guys. The two car garage was partitioned into 3 bedrooms. There were 4 others in the house plus the landlord. Only me and the landlord worked steady jobs. The other tenants HOARDED the most sugary crap food from the food shelf and had video games, vape pens, and a steady supply of various legal and illegal psychoactives on zero income. I don't know how anyone goes hungry in this country, I guess you have to be a real moron.

Gearjammin' Penguin Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.