Fedex freight or Saia for linehaul?

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by roadx27, Mar 26, 2018.

1. roadx27

roadx27 Bobtail Member

Mar 26, 2018
    I'm with current company for a lil over 2 years now OTR. Clean driving record. Doubles. Tanker. Passport. TWIC & working on getting my Hazmat.

I really would like to jump into linehaul but I would like to hear insight before jumping in. For location, I would like to atleast stay somewhere midwest and make decent number to provide for my family.

Hometown is in OKC area. They have job opening for SAIA but don't know for sure if anyone of you here know more info about it? Also fedex freight has some openings around Little Rock, AR.

Monday to Friday gig or maybe some weekend.

Does SAIA do bidding too like Fedex? How about the insurance? More info are highly appreciated. Thank you.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    If its any help in your choice saia has driver facing cameras

roadx27 Thanks this.
  4. driverdriver

driverdriver Road Train Member

May 30, 2011
    So does FedEx now correct?
    And OD doesn't allow cb's from what I've read.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2018
    Reason for edit: Fixed quote
    roadx27 Thanks this.
  5. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    Not sure about fed ex someone else will have to chime in

driverdriver Thanks this.
  6. 2BucTruck

2BucTruck Medium Load Member

Jun 7, 2014
    Eastern USA - Go Bucs!
    Your choices are not likely just limited to FXF or SAIA. LTLs usually huddle up in the same area with terminal locations. Don't forget about Estes, Old Dominion, ABF, YRC, UPSF and others. Personally, I'd look at Old Dominion, Estes, or FXF. I'd choose SAIA before ABF or YRC.

Familiarize yourself with the major LTL players, Google them or find their terminal locations and go from there. You'll find plenty in the OKC area, I'm sure. Then you can start applying to the terminals in your area. Your distance will only be limited by how long you choose to commute to work, although some terminals will not hire if you're not within a specified distance from the terminal. Some of our drivers at my terminal live an hour or more away, so when they run linehaul they choose to stay out for a week at a time to make it worth their while. Most of us live within an hour and simply commute back and forth each day after our runs.

Bidding can differ even within the same company. At ODFL, we have some terminals that don't bid at all, and some that bid every 6 months. Others might only bid once a year. You really need to find out about the specific terminals you're applying to, no matter what company. See how many drivers they have, what kind of runs they have, how long it might take for you to land a bid run (if that's what you want), how quickly you might be able to move up the seniority board, if they have one seniority board shared by P&D and linehaul or separate boards, if you have to start by staying out at hotels... all sorts of questions to ask.

Most LTLs are relatively competitive with each other in regard to pay and benefits. The one with the highest cpm isn't always the best. It would behoove you more to try to get info on the specific terminals in your area, trying to get answers to some of the questions I listed for you above. Then you need to figure out whether you wanna join an LTL that's unionized, that will narrow down your choices depending if you care about that or not. ABF, YRC, and UPSF are union. SAIA, ODFL, Estes, FXF are not. Personally, I like having a 401k because I don't trust that the pensions will be there. I know of too many union drivers that had their pensions cut back. Something to consider.

One more thing, Fed Ex Ground and Fed Ex Freight are not the same. Fed Ex Ground are 1099 jobs where you're working for a contractor. Fed Ex Freight is the company job - and the one I'd recommend between the two.

And another thing, I wouldn't base my decision on whether they have forward-facing cameras or not. Eventually, we might all be on candid camera....

7. roadx27

roadx27 Bobtail Member

Mar 26, 2018

Thank you so much for the very informative advice. Cameras are not that big deal to me. I drive for a company where they have cameras installed even since I joined them. Pretty much it records when an event happen..Regarding the commute, I might have to do the same if can't find a place nearby.

Another quick question..does FXF or the rest of the LTL company allow you to put an application while waiting on your X endorsement to be completed? Like give you 90 days to obtain while being employed? Or having the endorsement on your license will put you ahead of the line?

8. road_runner

road_runner Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    Pretty much what @2BucTruck said .

Don't just focus on the CPM. Also inquire if they have hourly pay for non driving duties.

My company (which doesn't cover your area) tops out at 51 cpm, but we receive $20/hour for pretty much all time spent not moving (detention, breakdown, hooking a set or breaking a set).

Some of the other guys in our area get paid 62 CPM, but they don't see detention until after two hours of waiting or their breakdown is far less than what we get. It does add up if you break down bad enough to where they have to wrecker you .

It's only a matter of time before we all get driver facing cameras. Company execs rotate out between carriers like drivers do, and usually they bring their idiotic ideas with them to the new company.

Cardfan89 Thanks this.
  9. HoustonTrucker

HoustonTrucker Light Load Member

Mar 22, 2015
    Id pass on Saia, not only do they have driver facing cameras, but they also have dracanion rules regarding them also..They are really abusing them. Many long time drivers have left Saia in the DFW area to go to OD. In this business you don't just throw away seniority like that unless you have a good reason.

Saia also does not allow Bluetooth headsets, so forget about talking on the phone.

Honestly don't know much about FXF. I've heard being a new guy there you'll get stuck doing lots of short hopping around , but no idea if that' true.

If I were you I'd go with OD or Estes. OD is pretty much best of the best right now. Estes is family owned and operated so they aren't subject to the whims of shareholders or executives.

roadx27 and Brettj3876 Thank this.
  10. roadx27

roadx27 Bobtail Member

Mar 26, 2018

Are you working for OD? If so, which terminal and are they gona hire you even if your hazmat are still on process? Can you tell me more info? I am fine relocation to texas if I can find an employment.

11. Radman

Radman Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2011
    FXF works the dock and runs short runs as a junior linehaul guy. Unless you get lucky depending on terminal. Management their a little hostile. Saia is all driving no dock. But strict with the drive cam. They are chilling out a lil bit cause of the mass exit of drivers. Both are strict so pick your poison.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.