Fedex freight or Saia for linehaul?

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by roadx27, Mar 26, 2018.

1. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Given this option I’d go with Fedex. To my knowledge they’re only running forward cams and don’t forbid a CB.

@Gearjammin' Penguin could probably tell more.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. road_runner

road_runner Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    All the guys at ODFL seem happy with their job. P&D driver is making about $27/hour but no OT until they hit 60. Linehaul is also doing well from what I heard . It's a conpany I am interested in when I move to SC in the next few weeks .

If someone can give me the skinny on it, that would be great

Texas_hwy_287 and roadx27 Thank this.
  4. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Getting tired of the winters up there?

5. Gearjammin' Penguin

Gearjammin' Penguin "Ride Fast-Truck Safe"

Feb 18, 2007
    Central AZ
    Forward cams, no drivercams.

Most LH drivers have CB's in their trucks. Official Company Policy is that electronic devices are not to be used when the vehicle is in motion. (But if they don't see it(or you don't get a cite for it), you didn't do it.) ;)

6. KaoMinerva

KaoMinerva Transcendent God

Feb 5, 2016
    Clearly go to Estes or ODFL IMO. Estes is over on Reno off the 40. It's a small terminal whereas a bigger one is in Tulsa. Personally take your resume to Estes or ODFL. I know for a FACT 192 in OKC needs 4 more drivers for a few lanes they opened up. I just saw it a few weeks ago when I was there. That terminal is very laid back with no big wigs running around killing the vibe.

speedyk, LoneCowboy and roadx27 Thank this.
  7. 2BucTruck

2BucTruck Medium Load Member

Jun 7, 2014
    Eastern USA - Go Bucs!
    I had all my endorsements before I started at OD, but I'm pretty sure they want those in place before you apply. You should ask the manager at any OD terminal you might wanna apply to. BTW, you mentioned Texas, and I know Dallas terminal is a great place to work. Lots of options and management is laid back.

If you're willing to relocate, you'll have no problems getting on with any LTL.

Someone else mentioned working the dock as a driver. OD doesn't have their linehaul drivers work the dock. That's another good question to keep in mind while job searching.

speedyk, Bob Dobalina and roadx27 Thank this.
  8. Hotplate

Hotplate Medium Load Member

Sep 20, 2015
    ODFL if you can get in. ESTES is a great bet for linehaul, I wouldnt do city there. SAIA has drivercams, but most companies will probably go down this route. Fedex if you like to work the dock or run a yard horse and sit by the phone if it slows down.

speedyk Thanks this.
  9. chiz2003

chiz2003 Bobtail Member

Feb 3, 2009
    You have given some really good advice. All in all they all do basically the same thing. Starting out can be rough. You need to be prepared to run mostly nights and be on call as soon as your ten is up. FedEx Ground IS NOT 1099. The contractors there pay normal W-2s like every where else. They are obligated by their contract with FedEx to do so.

10. 2BucTruck

2BucTruck Medium Load Member

Jun 7, 2014
    Eastern USA - Go Bucs!
    That's the first time I've heard that FX Ground contractors cannot have their own employees as 1099 because of an agreement with Fed Ex.

11. chiz2003

chiz2003 Bobtail Member

Feb 3, 2009
    Yes,They started that in 2010. I was a contractor there for 15 years. Contractors are required to do an Annual Compliance every year and have their CPA sign off proving they are treating drivers as W-2 employees. I sold my business in 2015 and now manage one for a contractor.

2BucTruck and Redtwin Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.