FedEx GROUND now taking Student drivers

Discussion in 'FedEx' started by jgent74, Mar 24, 2012.

1. JohnOTR

JohnOTR Bobtail Member

Mar 11, 2011
    Springfield, Ma
    I work for a contractor who has 4 trucks and one of his drivers can't speak english at all!!!! I don't understand how Fedex approved him, also all of his 4 trucks are in the shop every week, I am actually looking for a new job because I can't take this anymore......

2. Truckinchic

Truckinchic Medium Load Member

Apr 8, 2012
    MA
    That seems to be a major problem these days. A lot of people coming out of Netts for instance have horrific criminal records, drugs, assault, arrest records, etc. Netts lets these thugs into the school then the people complain they cant get a job anywhere due to there records. Finding good drivers is hard these days.

3. trucknecc

trucknecc Bobtail Member

May 17, 2014
    Alliance, OH
    At some point everyone who has ever possessed a CDL started as a newbie driver. At one point in time someone had to give them a break to so they could get experience and now they have alot of years of experience. Why shouldn't everyone get the same opportunity to prevail as you must have at some point in your life as a driver. Don't you think other people should get the same opportunity. I mean if not when all the old timer truckers retire there won't be nobody left to drive the trucks.

Davem3TF Thanks this.
  4. Davem3TF

Davem3TF Bobtail Member

Mar 14, 2011
    Worcester,MA
    drop the P and S , everything else looks awesome

5. hellpatrol

hellpatrol Light Load Member

Apr 22, 2013
    As a driver for a Fed Ex contractor I can certainly tell you that it's ALL about getting a good contractor. I have a great one who buys new trucks and went from 3 trucks to 6. He pays very fair and even paid me for a full day when I first started even though I only did 2 runs, not the 3 that we're suppose to do per night. He understood that it takes time to get proficient enough to get the 3 runs in and didn't penalize me for being new. He took a chance on me since I didn't even have a doubles endorsement yet. I applied, then went to get the endorsement. I passed the test and started training the next day. At the time Fed Ex said that they wanted someone with at least 6 months experience with doubles, but where are you suppose to get that kind of experience? He always finds it very hard to find good drivers. I am the only one who's allowed to drive the new trucks due to the fact I treat them as my own and don't destroy them. It is true I don't get benefits through him, but I'm lucky in that I have medical through my wife's work and sorta lucky to have VA benefits(if you can call them that). He also pays for a week's vacation after working for him for a year, out of his own pocket.
    In this job getting the good contractor is the key. There are all kinds out there and I have had jobs where they had wooden blocks propping the seat up because the air bag was broken. Having a brand new Volvo sleeper to drive is a god-send. I show up on time, do the work safely and let him know every day if I had any problems, either with the work or with the truck. For that I got a pay raise, a new truck and his trust.

Davem3TF and BIGreem1985 Thank this.
  6. jfred2

jfred2 Bobtail Member

Mar 12, 2013
    L.I, N.Y.
    Does anyone know if this is still the case for fxg? Most of the job postings that I read online ask for 6 months to a year experience. Thanks guys.

• Draft saved Draft deleted