feedback on the apucenter in missouri

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by pavrom, Oct 22, 2018.

1. pavrom

pavrom Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2012
    NE illinois
    can anyone provide feedback on the apucenter in missouri
    i am shopping for apu and after some research i decided to go with thermoking unit
    closest dealer quoted 11290 installed and availability sometimes february
    called these guys in missouri and they have 5500 , 6500 , 7500 units
    7500 unit i was interested should have under 6000 hours , sales said it should be ready in probably 3 weeks (he said they are rebuilding them) , one business day installation and after i spend night at their location testing the unit , they check out everything in the morning and on top of that gives you 6 months warranty ($7500 units only , cheaper units less warranty)
    any feedback or suggestions
    ps
    i also see units sold for 3500 at JY all day long , not sure if that good idea ...have no idea if it will have any parts missing or perfectly working unit .

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Freddy57

Freddy57 Road Train Member

Nov 29, 2013
    Mount Vernon, MO
    I take it you're referring to APU Center in Strafford mo?
    All I've had done there is service work, to be honest, I'm no fan of the place.They do a half way job at best.

baha Thanks this.
  4. roshea

roshea Road Train Member

A friend got one there, had it changed out twice and still has had nothing but problems. He wanted to "save" on getting a new one from the dealer, he has more than surpassed that price now plus has not had the use of the APU for much of the time since he got it.

blairandgretchen and Freddy57 Thank this.
  5. blairandgretchen

blairandgretchen Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2011
    South west Missouri
    Hate to say it, but a penny pinching buddy has been round the block with Dale several times. Honestly, because he doesn't track his numbers well, and suffers from confirmation bias - he would have been better off biting the bullet on a new unit.

roshea Thanks this.
  6. RedForeman

RedForeman Momentum Conservationist

Jan 30, 2011
    I bought a lower case and inspection cover from them, but have never gotten service there. The parts were not genuine (I knew that when ordering), but I feel I got what I paid for (cost half what the OEM parts were quoted). The powder coat wasn't that great, so a lot of rust after only two NE winters but still solid. No issues with the order or time to receive it.

Those prices you're being quoted are on par with what my local Thermo King offers (Doraville GA). For the same money, I would go to my TK dealer before APU center (and have done so). I would expect the TK dealers along your usual routes probably offer the same. The "rebuild" is probably motor mounts, a new belt, and replace anything that's about to fall off. At less than 10k hours, there shouldn't be much wrong with them.

Beware that the used units from a TK dealer likely will only carry a local warranty. That is, warranty service is honored only by the selling dealer. Mine offers 30 days, so it's not a long one either. That ain't all bad, since most TK dealers are regional with a few other locations than the one you happened to use. For example, the one I use has locations all over GA AL and one in Chattanooga.

blairandgretchen, Tug Toy and pavrom Thank this.
  7. RubyEagle

RubyEagle Medium Load Member

Apr 17, 2010
    No sales tax on it if you buy in MO!

8. sbaumann14

sbaumann14 Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2010
    Rhinelander, WI
    Check the back pages of the Truck Paper. Theres a thermo king dealer right up the street from where im sitting (north side of Minneapolis) that has them for $7500

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.