Finally decided what to do with myself after disappointment at Wilson

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Gambosa, Jul 19, 2019.

1. Gambosa

Gambosa Light Load Member

Dec 3, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Trying to lol DPS here said my maiden name is on my social instead of my married name, which I kept. No issue with it in Missouri when I went to Wilson and got my CDL permit and a Missouri driver’s license. I also have to retake my permit exams here smh

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Gambosa

Dec 3, 2018
    Oklahoma
    I had renewed my license in Arkansas in February as well and had no issue

4. Gambosa

Dec 3, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Life keeps throwing me lemons, so I guess I’ll grab some meringue:-D

REO6205 Thanks this.
  5. plant

plant Heavy Load Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Not sure what your back story is or what happened with Wilson. But I'm getting the vibe that they let you go during CDL training. I got my CDL through the Swift academy and they don't hold your hand either. There were like 40 in my class originally and only 5 of us got our CDLs. The rest got sent home. At the time, Swift had a thing where if you failed any skill test during the first 3 weeks they sent you home. Then if you failed the 4th week they give you a 2nd try. Fail the 2nd try they send you home. This was back in 2011 so things might have changed. But if you need a longer, more comprehensive program, you should probably go with a traditional independent CDL school. The trucking company schools are ringers.

COBB2070 Thanks this.
  6. Gambosa

Dec 3, 2018
    Oklahoma
    If I could afford to put myself through CDL school I would not even be looking at company schools. I have a bachelor’s degree and 15 hours toward a Master’s, so I have no financial aid left either. Wilson felt I needed a longer program than theirs and trainers thought I seemed nervous or overwhelmed. I didn’t feel nervous at all. Thought their trainer who rode with me when I did my one run with a trailer seemed nervous. Others in my class felt I was doing much better than one guy they kept who didn’t even try his second shot at the driving test.
    Thank you for your comment. It’s good to know more about how their school works. A trainer at Wilson drove over a million accident free miles with them and thought they would be a good fit for me. Seems I’d have to transfer my license twice with them though so I’m looking at schools that are in Missouri now. Mostly CFI.

7. plant

plant Heavy Load Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Yea I had to transfer my license twice with Swift. From CA to AZ then back to CA. Just the way it goes, they can't issue you a CDL in a state other than the one in which you took the test.

COBB2070 Thanks this.
  8. Gambosa

Dec 3, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Crap :’( guess I’d have to transfer 3 times then. Since I did the training at Wilson my current license and CDL permit are Missouri. Swift requires me to transfer to Oklahoma, which means I would have to take the permit tests here. Then I’d get my stuff wherever they send me and have to transfer back to Oklahoma again.....

COBB2070 Thanks this.
  9. COBB2070

COBB2070 Medium Load Member

Jul 8, 2018
    SoCal...The OC
    It will be common for a school to ask you to obtain a CLP in the state you are schooling in. But according to federal law. If you have a CLP issued by say, CA, and go to school in TN, then TN must accept the CLP. You can test in any state with a CLP from any other state for your CDL. if you pass, the result is supposed to be electronically sent to your home state. It's because the CDL sets MINIMUM standards and all states must accept those minimum standards. If a state sets higher standards, you must meet those, but they have to issue you the CDL if you pass the test. Reference.... FMCSR 383.79.

10. Gambosa

Dec 3, 2018
    Oklahoma
    My current issue is that Swift wants or requires me to transfer my driver’s license from Missouri to Oklahoma (where Wilson is- where I live) and I will just have to transfer it again once I pass my road test and get my CDL. Also my Missouri permit is connected to my Missouri license, so if I transfer my license I will likely have to repeat my permit tests.

COBB2070 Thanks this.
  11. Gambosa

Dec 3, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Oklahoma does not allow transferring of a CLP..... perhaps no state does. Idk. Maybe I’ll look into that lol

COBB2070 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.