Finally got my own truck

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by BoyWander, Jan 1, 2017.

1. Western flyer

Western flyer Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2014
    This thread is about to come back
    To life big time.

Tug Toy and Midwest Trucker Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. daf105paccar

daf105paccar Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2012
    I hope you are right,Oscar.
    BUT i fear you are wrong.
    Time will tell.

thaistick and Tug Toy Thank this.
  4. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Then how come that foreigners such as me, often choose new. or newer trucks? Heck, I even consider putting myself on a waiting list for a brand new Volvo as a replacement for this 9 year old truck now. Maybe you confuse foreigners with KR show followers.
    And for the record, being a naturalized citizen, I feel that I am as good an American as George Patton,. If there is another Independence War, or D-Day,I 'll prove it. I would prefer to keep myself out of the Civil War so forgive me for that. So don't you f...dare - I am saying it to anyone here - to tell me that I am any worse than those born here. If anyone will say it in my face, they will see an angry man. And some did already. I will not continue this topic for the fear it will get this otherwise valuable thread shut down. There are too many trucking business related themes here to be wasted over this BS.

dunchues, jcrack08, Lepton1 and 5 others Thank this.
  5. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    I don’t necessarily disagree with you brother. He has done well though and has transformed into a legit business and employer. If I was a member then I would have told him he’s hurting it for others by running over on hours when he started. I’d have told him late last year to early this year dude wth you thinking not running because it’s the best times ever. He was just worn out and burnt out from over running the previous spring.

I think I also feel for people when they feel the pressure on their shoulders of paying another man and his family’s living. It’s intense. And now that he’s a team he probably feels pressure to run longer runs which are always the first to go down on the rate.

I do blame the megas btw.

Anyway, shout out to BW for even doing this thread and putting his business out there for people to learn, criticize, entertain, whatever.

Farmerbob1 and DUNE-T Thank this.
  6. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    I think your last reply was at BW and not me but I just want to let you know I wish everyone was like you that came to the US. I appreciate your post and shows what a good man and patriot you are.

If only millions of Americans born here had your work ethic and knew anything whatsoever about history. Many don’t even know when 9/11 happened!

jcrack08, Lepton1, Feedman and 2 others Thank this.
  7. win-some-loose-less

win-some-loose-less Medium Load Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Mount Vernon tx
    You couldn’t any better examples than musk? Lol

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  8. BoyWander

BoyWander Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2011
    Michigan
    I wasn't necessarily complaining about owner ops.

Carriers with 5-10 trucks owned by foreigners who don't pay taxes, bring people here from overseas and pay them pennies, on a 1099, who don't pay taxes either, and run crappy equipment.

I've met them. I applied to work for one a few years ago, and refused to hire me on a W2, so I walked away, after taking my drug test.
    I remember this guy owned some carpet cleaning business and had a couple people dispatching out of it, I remember one of them hanging up the phone and bragging how he just got $2/mi to WA.

I also remember they had just moved from one DOT # to another.

There are more of them now than ever.
    Even the megas are bringing people over who hardly speak English, put them through them crap trucking schools where they learn nothing, pay them pennies, and don't train them. Literally they do not train them. They put them with another fresh body. Blind leading the blind.

Lepton1, Eldiablo, Farmerbob1 and 3 others Thank this.
  9. Western flyer

Western flyer Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2014
    That's exactly what I was trying to say.
    And there multiplying by the day.
    Go into any truck stop now there's
    10 different languages being spoken
    By the truck drivers.

Farmerbob1 and Midwest Trucker Thank this.
  10. Cheezy_smile

Cheezy_smile Medium Load Member

May 23, 2017
    I follow your thread from the beginning. Sorry but I disagree with you about foreigners and how everyone that speaks different language takes cheap freight.
    @TallJoe did you enjoy that ceremony when you got the citizenship? Great feeling

11. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    So, the money saved by having two trucks would have to offset the extra insurance costs.

This probably won't work unless you run VERY hard as a solo operator, as most owner operators would have enough common sense to schedule service for whenever they also plan home time.

I will still look at it myself, when the time comes, if the time comes, but it is good to know in advance that it may not be a good idea.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.