Finally got my own truck

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by BoyWander, Jan 1, 2017.

1. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    Good information, a lot of which I have considered already, and some which I will consider. I have no debt at all, but only have 20k in the bank, so I am nowhere near buying a truck on terms that I personally would be comfortable with.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    I did... the same way I enjoyed the birth of my son in Chicago...He is a real Chicagoan. Nobody will ever tell him that he does not belong here. Conceived and born here.

jcrack08, Feedman, BoyWander and 4 others Thank this.
  4. BoyWander

BoyWander Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2011
    Michigan
    Well.
    Bad news.

Idled the truck out of fuel.

At a truck stop. There is still fuel at the bottom of the tanks. We shut off the passenger tank.
    Bought a fuel can and put 5 gal in it. Thought I found the primer. Fuel water separator is on the passenger side but fuel filter is on driver side and I found some thing I unscrewed near that filter and a spring popped out and I could push it up and down so I think that's the primer.

Fuel still dripping out of the separator if I unscrew it.

I think there is somewhere I'm supposed to bleed the air?

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  5. Farmerbob1

Jan 17, 2017
    Ouch. My suggestion: if you can't find a good Youtube video for re-priming your engine, call for service and watch how they do it.

Lepton1 and Tug Toy Thank this.
  6. BoyWander

Jul 22, 2011
    Michigan
    I did find the manual fuel primer.

Just pushing up and down on it.

If I knew where the air bleed is, I'd do that.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  7. Farmerbob1

Jan 17, 2017
    Lepton1 Thanks this.
  8. Oscar the KW

Oscar the KW Going Tarpless

May 19, 2011
    If that primer is anything like the ones on the newer Detroit engines, you’ll pump that primer until your arms fall off before it will start.

9. Zigzag777

Zigzag777 Medium Load Member

Mar 25, 2013
    Down Yonder
    Source of actual BW problems, is him. I’m not wanting any arguments about immigration, Chicago, white colored trucks, cheap mega hauling rates, they are all excuses. All of that has been going on for decades. Yet there are successfull operators who have found ways to make money. And this past year in general has benefited many operators with high spot market rates. BW might not have good negotiation skills, and against a broker, it’s an absolute requirement. To look at load boards without calling the broker is meaningless. Yes it might take some time to build a relationship, but if you’re sitting in a truck stop waiting for a call, it’s time to start making phone calls. If he is contracted to a company that does not allow him to chase outside loads, he only has 2 choices, find a carrier who does allow it, or get your own authority. He says next year on own authority, it might be too little too late. He also will find big obstacles after getting own authority, as some brokers require x amount of time as an independent OO to allow you to haul their freight. Yes it’s BS, but true.
    But I think the immediate problem is having a co-driver, when he’s not bringing in enough income to support a solo operation. Of course it’s nice having someone to chat with, but if you have to pay for a buddy, it’s an expense that he can’t afford. It is, and always will be a tough grind, but that’s trucking. I really hope BW makes it! He’s in too deep to abandon the ship.
    And I hope he realizes that what I’ve just said is not intended as criticism. Just the opposite. But no candy coating either. Just take some time and give your situation a hard look, especially teaming, which even if your getting good miles, will wear out your truck in half the time. Megas can push teaming, because they pay the drivers crap in most places. Your quality of life also takes a hit, as the miles fly by, as you attempt to live and rest in a bounce house.

10. BoyWander

Jul 22, 2011
    Michigan
    Engine wasn't sucking up fuel.

Rob said let's try ether.

So we did and it worked. Put some more fuel in it and it's purring just fine. I was about to have to call the dealership.

Screw that.

Rob saves my butt again.

Lepton1, Feedman and Farmerbob1 Thank this.
  11. CaptainDaveG

CaptainDaveG Road Train Member

Jul 31, 2014
    Fremont Wi

Part of the issue there BW your playing in the “van” market. I assure you as a team Reefer you will do 50 to 60 grand a month to the truck. If you want to try Reefer I will let you use mine for a month. We will just trade trailers. Reefer Team is so hot. You can do it. Look at all you have done already.

Be Safe Out There

Captain Dave

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.