Finally got my own truck

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by BoyWander, Jan 1, 2017.

1. ReeferOhio

ReeferOhio Medium Load Member

Nov 29, 2010
    Ohio
    I got that, and again it's a small percentage of the overall trucks on the road. As far as rates are concerned it's one of many factors into rates, but not the only factor or largest factor.

Bean Jr. and TallJoe Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BoyWander

BoyWander Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2011
    Michigan
    This thread is getting close to 100 pages.

Pretty cool.

Out here this week trying to survive.

Monday in Quad Cities sat there until the inevitable call came needing to pick up in Burlington. TQL needed to move these cans to WI near Twin Cities. 427 loaded had to beg for $1500. In fact i.told her I needed $1550. Which is cheap for a team. Normally $1800 is bare bottom dollar. She called back and said customer approved my bid of $1500. I sat there silent for a sec and just said "ok."

Del that str8 thru at 5am.

Drove to park and sat there all day. Finally got a call from Millhouse needing auto parts expedited to Laredo from St Cloud area. She offered $3500 I asked for $3800 she accepted no problem. Drove 2 hours to get there at 5pm only to watch the load leave on another truck as we pulled in. Went inside and sure enough that was it. She showed me the BOL with Millhouse clearly listed as the carrier (broker). Called them up to complain and they denied double booking it. I called out their BS. Left them a nasty review on Google. Screw them. They are bottom of the barrel like TQL. Except TQL has some good brokers.

So we went and parked.

Wednesday early morning I got up and got us a heavy beer load to Craplanta team run next day delivery for $3800. Del that before noon and there was nothing.

Decided to look for Friday (today) see what there was going to Spokane. Figured if we could get a good rate we'd deadhead overnight.

At this point I'm thinking we gotta get to at least $9000 revenue. That would leave enough for me to make more than my expenses.

Called on some loads and they were all incredibly cheap offers. 1900 miles $2800. Whatever. Laughed at that guy and told him I'd go broke moving crap like that but thank you.

Ended up deadheading 400 miles to pick up a semi-cheap load to Reno for $2/mi. I think we can get close to that coming back east.

Survival mode. Hoping things pick up soon because I'm sure not interested in having to resort to doing 6500 miles a week for $11-12k and tearing up my truck.

I want to make this work because Rob is a keeper. Not perfect but has common sense. He just needs to learn the map. I refused to buy another month subscription to that crappy truck GPS program I downloaded on the tablet. It took him into a dirt road a couple months back even after I told him we should just go back out the way we came in. Fortunately we were able to turn around there. But now he knows. I want to keep him in the case I get a 2nd truck and decent people are hard to find. I don't want to lose him to someone else in case I need him. It could really pay off.

So now I'm making him plan his route with the trusty Rand McNally atlas and Google Maps. That's how I've always done it and it's never
    done me wrong. In fact when I started driving there were no smart phones and GPS. It was the atlas and calling the customer to get directions. And not relying on dispatch having the right direction entered into the Qualcomm.

If I put skirts on this trailer we could go to Commiefornia. And get stuck in a wildfire. Or an earthquake. The big one is overdue.

4. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    Nice update.

How much tonu did Millhouse pay? Ive heard a lot of bad stories about teams getting screwed by exactly what you described. Hot freight, hire two trucks and hope one gets there ASAP. Screw the other. I’d probably make them put on the rate con $500 tonu if show up by the agreed upon time or for cancellation of any reason.

Have you thought about renting a truck and putting Rob in it? Maybe find a rental for like 600/week and .12/mi? Sounds like the company you lease too isn’t setup for teams and the spot market sounds tough for them. Especially with you trying to book the loads plus drive. You gotta sleep at some point!

It would be hard to make money renting but if you did and were profitable for a while then would give the confidence to buy another truck. I’ve thought about putting a team on a truck but never could find one. Maybe it’s good I didn’t. Seems tough out there unless your on consistent team oriented freight.

Keep your head up!

Tug Toy Thanks this.
  5. daf105paccar

daf105paccar Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2012
    @BoyWander have you looked into doing other work?
    Maybe it is time to put some feelers out to other compagnies who need a good team.
    My concern is that how you are working now ,when the economy takes a dive( at it will at some point), your market will disappear.

6. RaRa

RaRa Light Load Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Do you have your own authority and trailer? It seems like you can never get any good loads.

7. Misesian

Misesian Road Train Member

May 21, 2014
    Nothwest Arkansas
    Just throwing my 2 cents in there. I don’t think running team via the load board is a good idea. The same way if you try to run tanker or heavy haul via the load board,there won’t be much. The more specialized something is, the less likely a shipper is farming that out to a broker. If you really want good team freight you should find a carrier that does that kind of work.
    I don’t know much about them but Forward Air, Tri-State Motor Transit, companies like MBM/Mclane Foods have team lanes, and some of the LTL guys hire contractors for team lanes. From what I understand, Forward Air and Tri-State have decent money on their runs.
    Otherwise, if you’re other driver is a good one and you have the rescources, put him in another truck. When I was in training at Knight, one of the trainers wanted to team on every load to make more miles for himself. It was miserable. Teaming with someone, even if you have a good relationship, will burn someone out pretty quick.

8. 77fib77

77fib77 Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2010
    St Louis
    When I atarsta I teamed. It is hard. My last team driver, we would shut down the truck for four or five hours a night, so we could both sleep. By the fourth day your sleep is bad in a moving truck.

9. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    For some people, sleeping in a moving truck is not a big deal. I am not one of those people.

flood and Tug Toy Thank this.
  10. 77fib77

77fib77 Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2010
    St Louis
    It might have been the shocks we're old on a 650k 9400i.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  11. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    My problem is not the bouncing part, it's the trusting another driver not to kill me part.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.