Finally got my own truck

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by BoyWander, Jan 1, 2017.

1. Bfr38

Bfr38 Medium Load Member

Nov 26, 2012
    Ohio

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Bfr38

Bfr38 Medium Load Member

Nov 26, 2012
    Ohio
    Yeah, that doesn’t sound bad to me. I didn’t do the math exactly, but it’s over 2.00 a mile.

Driver Eight and Lepton1 Thank this.
  4. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    How are you supposed to pickup, run 400 miles, drop off, in 8.75 hours? That’s just unrealistic to me. With the 30 min break alone, not even including pick or drop, you would be out of time. Am I missing something?

mitmaks, PPDCT and BoyWander Thank this.
  5. Driver Eight

Driver Eight Light Load Member

Oct 26, 2012
    there would be delays along the line if you tried day after day. But the main policy question is, there is nothing inherently wrong that I see with running a 400 miles for $900 trip unless it precluded getting a better load. I cannot understand why we should NEVER EVER do it. Unless I am missing something. I freely admit I probably am missing something. If people who have put their equipment and time into OO trucking say so. I was just wondering what that unequivical statement was all about. The mystery remains.

Farmerbob1 Thanks this.
  6. 77fib77

77fib77 Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2010
    St Louis
    8.75 hours of clock. Off duty while being loaded/unloaded. 8 * 60 = 480 miles.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  7. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    Depends on where your pick and drop are, and if they are live or drop and hook. But, yeah, 400 miles on average per day on 8.75 hour days, short loads, is unrealistic.

Get some cross country loads though, and 8.75 hours a day will get you 500 miles per day pretty regularly.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  8. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    The point is that Midwest lanes such as Minneapolis, MN - Chicago, IL Chicago - Columbus, OH; Columbus, OH - Baltimore, MD, or Winchester, VA, Winchester,VA/York, PA/Baltimore, MD -- North East should be aimed higher than $900.00 because the opposite direction rates are horrible and depressing. Pa with their tolls and fuel tax should be avoided altogether, if you can't get there for more than 3 dol per loaded mile e.i. $1200 from IN, OH, MI to PA (400-500 miles). I would not go to York, PA from Chicago for less than $2000.00 (absolute minimum).
    ----reason $250 tolls, in case you want to avoid it, crawling through I-64 WV ain't pretty either.

However, I remember that in 2017, when this thread started, these rates were not easy to get at all, not until September or October. Certainly, I was unable to get $1200 on 400 miles before then. For example, Chicago - Columbus, OH oscillated around $800-1000 but towards the end of 2017 and for the most part of 2018, yes, $1200 - 1400 was quite possible, if not common.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
    BoyWander, Lepton1, Bean Jr. and 5 others Thank this.
  9. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    It can be done, I used to do it. 450 miles each way. It was all drop and hook. 7 trips per week. Port Huron Mi- Janesville Wi.

Driver Eight Thanks this.
  10. IrishIndian

IrishIndian Bobtail Member

Dec 28, 2019
    Holy hell that took days to read this ENTIRE thread! Props to BW on the journey! Its inspiring! That being said...I'm considering throwing myself on the gauntlet and taking the plunge. Been researching my ### off debating on leasing a late model truck through either Lone Mountain or Wholesale Truck and Finance or saving up the dough and buying a 15-20k truck and doing an inframe Rawze has a PLETHORA of info on ISX engines. From what I've managed to gather Volvo and International seem to corner the market on bottom of the barrel priced trucks. I'm avoiding D13s and MAXXFORCE like the plague.

Hate to admit but I am one of those "new" CDL drivers but I'm at a crossroads where I need to do something. My dad has been a truck driver for 30+ yrs and I've personally watched him get bent over by trying out the lease purchase scam with a couple companies only to watch him go bankrupt because he didn't research.
    I've been running numbers using whatever load boards I could pull info from and I think I could carve something out for myself with the right tools. I came across this thread while I was researching MAG Carriers as I'd prefer to dispatch my own loads but not have my own authority at least until I've gotten a few years of my feet wet. Thank you for all you guys out there doing the work truckers are ALWAYS under appreciated.

BoyWander and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  11. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Theres nothing wrong with leasing with a company that dispatches u , provided they have their own customers. Dont get so wholed up on the rate. If a company is offering u 90% of the total rate but they is just gettinf u loads off the loadboards for 1.80 a mile then that is complete #### to begin with . vs if u getting 75% of the rate from a dispatcher and company that has direct freight at 2.30 a mile the 75% will make u more money everyday of the week. Dispatching urself atleast u know where u will be going but dont underestimate the knowledge of a good honest dispatcher who understands freight lanes who can keep u moving for a good price. It is important to understand the difference between taking a load for 2 dollar a mile into an area that has no freight coming out vs taking a load for 2 dollar a mile into a place that has all kinds of good paying freight coming out. And that will take awhile to learn where the best place is to position ur truck to make the most money.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.