finally rid of the autoshift. thank god

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by ad356, Feb 14, 2020.

1. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    Apparently, yes. I suspect that the transmission is engineered to drop into gear if there is a failure. In other words, it is actively holding the clutch gap open and will drop it closed at the first sign of any problem, or driver activity on the accelerator or brake. I'm pretty sure I remember the auto I used to drive would drop back into gear if I touched either pedal enough to move it even slightly.

faux_maestro Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    RPM should make no difference though. This is how I see it (and I could be completely wrong):

If your foot is off the pedal and the truck is pushing the RPM above the commanded speed from the pedal, then the computer (in my mind) wants to try and get engine speed back to idle. Only way to accomplish that is by injecting zero fuel. If you kick it out of gear and let it coast in neutral, the computer needs to inject fuel to maintain idle speed. See where I'm going with this? Takes fuel to keep the engine idling. Takes no fuel to coast in gear and have the truck keep the engine spinning.

magoo68 and loudtom Thank this.
  4. loudtom

loudtom Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2016
    The fuel gauge isn't what indicates that you're in neutral. If your tachometer drops to 5-600 RPM and/or the dash indicates N instead of which gear you're in, then that means it is dropping you out of gear and into neutral.

5. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    I only drove one,an early Century, with instantaneous mpg readout, manual did the same thing when you let off the throttle.

6. Farmerbob1

Jan 17, 2017
    I believe that diesel engines will pump a minimal amount of fuel to the engine based on the RPM because diesel truck engines require fuel for lubrication on some moving parts. At 600 RPM, you need less fuel to lubricate than at 900 RPM, and the engine always requires fuel when the engine is turning, or something will burn up. Fuel pumps, cylinder linings, etc.

Any diesel engine geeks want to fact check me here? I am an ex steel mill mechanic, not a diesel mechanic.

7. ad356

ad356 Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2017
    I don't like these transmissions but still im curious. as someone who knows how to shift, I know there are two methods...… "floating gears" or double clutching.

does an autoshift use the clutch during gear changes or does it float the gears?

8. Mattmanstroked

Mattmanstroked Light Load Member

Nov 24, 2019
    Best of my knowledge it floats the gears.

Now onto the better mileage wether costing in gear or in neutral??
    The hypermiler folks go to neutral and allow engine to idle. They achieve higher fuel mileage than I do so...

9. Farmerbob1

Jan 17, 2017
    I know that some of them used to double clutch. A few of the drivers I spoke to who remembered some of the first autoshifters said that you could hear the double clutch cycle quite clearly. These days? I suspect at least some of the most modern designs float by simply synchronizing engine speed to the transmission speed in the new gear through fine acceleration control.

10. magoo68

magoo68 Road Train Member

Jun 11, 2011
    st malo mb canada
    Only way to go into neutral is push the clutch in or take it out of gear . So what amount of premature wear on transmission and clutch happens when it’s in eco mode.. reason a auto can be better on fuel is in programming . A skilled driver can meet or beat the mpg If he CHOOSES too . Most don’t that’s why the myth of a auto being better persists ..

11. Wasted Thyme

Wasted Thyme Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2020
    GOAT watching
    While I have not gone to CDL School yet. Happens in the next 90-ish days. Some schools, like crap RoadMaster only teach automatics. No Manuals. It's one reason I will not even consider them. I want my CDL to not show an auto restriction. I also want to do my 200 hours with the Mega's trainer in a manual. As I want to have enough time to be back to my good habits with a manual as I used to be in my youth. That said. When I go solo I do want to drive an auto. Not because I am lazy, as I am not. But prefer them over manuals. Especially when in stop n go traffic.

As for the auto shifts and hills. As I've already seen, you can simply put it in manual mode. Drop it down a gear, or two, and work it like you would normally. J brakes as needed. Issue solved. I'd have to agree that any liquid sloshing around is gonna through a confusion factor into an auto shift. As it's caused jerkiness in myself when walking or running with a large container of liquid.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.