Financial Advice for those wanting to be an O/O

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by ColoradoLinehaul, Sep 30, 2022.

1. NorthEastTrucker

NorthEastTrucker Medium Load Member

Sep 21, 2019
    Precisely!!.. its a huge Scam. No accountability what so ever really. For those who have direct customers is Great but thats not the majority of o/o's have Direct customers to be paid. If you have direct customers in this recession (soon I believe might be a depression by this time next year..hopefully I am wrong) is the best thing to have during the financial storm ahead. I'm debating changing carriers & signing on with one that pays reasonable mileage rates so I can determine my weekly budget margins.

ProfessionalNoticer Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AsphaltFarmer

AsphaltFarmer Medium Load Member

Apr 19, 2022
    New Mexico
    Everything you describe is evidently happening, for example,

Iowa trucking company sued over alleged effort to 'steal money' from drivers - Iowa Capital Dispatch

but is it systemic? Most likely not, but the entire saga of what happened with price fixing of broiler chicken prices by the big boys then Tyson turning states evidence is a discomforting example to say that yes it's entirely possible. Although the poultry market is much much more concentrated than the carrier market.

Even with all of that being said, no matter how much they are stealing at the end of the day one method pays more than the other and until that changes have fun staying poor, haha, jk. I get it everyone has a different risk tolerance and long term in this environment it may be the best decision to sign on for a set rate but that's not the situation at hand yet.

MartinFromBC Thanks this.
  4. ProfessionalNoticer

ProfessionalNoticer Road Train Member

Apr 25, 2021
    No doubt. Mileage pay has it's issues too but at least you know you're not getting screwed. Of course mileag is no good if you're not moving. There is the Truth in Leasing law to get the true rate documents from the Carrier if one was so inclined though.

MartinFromBC Thanks this.
  5. Short Fuse EOD

Short Fuse EOD Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2015
    Midwest
    Advice,
    Never take financial advice from someone that isn’t financially strong.
    Never take advice from someone that isn’t the top on their field/craft/etc
    Always try to learn from other peoples mistakes before making your own. As a former bomb tech, I took heed to that one.

6. Kshaw0960

Kshaw0960 Road Train Member

Jun 17, 2018
    I honestly don’t think it’s hard if you have a good work ethic. I know people who succeed and they run their business opposite of each other. One guy buys good trucks and finances, another one buys 2000 and older. The 2000 and older one keeps trucks until it’s impossible to fix it. The guy who finances just sells and rebuys soon as it hits x miles.

I bought my first truck for $9k, a 2007 century. Then a w900, cascadia, T680, Pete 379. I always paid cash and I never financed. I did finance a trailer for the first time but the payments were less then renting and used ones were crazy.

I took that $9k truck and leased on with a guy with 18 trucks paying 85%. Made a killing. Everyone on this website is against small companies that pay 1099. Not every company is bad.

MartinFromBC and AsphaltFarmer Thank this.
  7. AsphaltFarmer

AsphaltFarmer Medium Load Member

Apr 19, 2022
    New Mexico
    Haha, so you're an expert on the topic of advice? And if not, then we shouldn't take your advice about advice? Jk

Short Fuse EOD Thanks this.
  8. Short Fuse EOD

Jul 29, 2015
    Midwest
    Round and round we go :D
    Always take all advice with caution. Including last statement.

AsphaltFarmer and MartinFromBC Thank this.
  9. Kshaw0960

Kshaw0960 Road Train Member

Jun 17, 2018
    What really made me see reality on this forum is when I read the thread about what a “no thru trucks” sign means. By page 2-3 you come to realize no one knows anything on here and common sense is a premium.

Ruthless and Opus Thank this.
  10. Short Fuse EOD

Jul 29, 2015
    Midwest
    What did you say? Sorry, I was trying to figure out how I can lick the window while eating crayons. Ok, we were talking IFTA and split “birth.”

AsphaltFarmer and MartinFromBC Thank this.
  11. ColoradoLinehaul

ColoradoLinehaul Light Load Member

Jul 11, 2021
    Colorado
    Dave’s 7 Baby Steps plan is proven. it has worked for 10 million people who have gone through it.

Sure, Dave makes money on books, his FPU program, his live seminars. So what? We are a capitalist society. He found a way to make money by helping others get out of debt. Don’t hate the player, hate the game. He changes lives. The amount of financial suffering going on in this country today is mind boggling.

Debt is the single most marketed thing in the world and not everyone has the common sense to understand how money works until they are shown and learn. Some are fortunate to figure it out on their own. The rest of us just struggle to make ends meet until we get lucky and stumble across this or someone shows us how to manage money.

The quickest and safest way to owning your own truck is by getting out of debt.

I didn’t make this thread for a bunch of ### hurt holier than though elitists to come in and nit pick everything he does or doesn’t do. I made it to help those struggling to get a grip with their finances.

Dave is a human being. Not a God. I don’t worship him but I do love his methods, I like his program and I can attest it does work and it worked for me.

no he doesn’t say you have to have a few million to buy a new car.

He says a person has no business buying a new car until they have at least a $1 million dollar net worth because they can’t absorb the depreciation hit. A lot of people get upside down fast in new cars because they’re always trading them in within a year or two for another one.

I think you’re fine to buy a new car if you buy it, pay cash and keep it for a long time or most of it’s road life.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.