Finding Reefer Loads out of South Florida

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Dstrucking2018, Nov 16, 2019.

1. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    TQL has awesome reefer loads out of S Florida.....and NYC for that matter. Go get em.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    Back when I was in the produce game I time the time to go around to the packing houses and make contacts with the produce brokers. Why get a loaf from tal or chr when you can get it from the folks they get it from.

Cabinover101 and PE_T Thank this.
  4. asphaltreptile311

asphaltreptile311 Road Train Member

Jun 16, 2016
    I went to pick up a CH Rob load as a company hack. when I got to the shipper a man came out and said it's great to see an American driver it's been a long time since I've had one here...... That told me everything I needed to know about this CH Robinson theif .

bzinger and Cabinover101 Thank this.
  5. JonJon78

JonJon78 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2018
    So instead of just deadheading out you would tie your truck up on a load your not making any money off anyhow? $1 a mile???

6. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    I'd suggest flowers but we didn't do those, either.

Seems that all of the better paying freight is spoken for and we used to deliver alot to Miami. The one time I went, the north Florida hides fell through, and I ended up going up to Hotlanta to pick up chicken to deliver to the Twin Cities, 2 pickups on Friday after sitting to wait for it.

Someone didn't contract the hides so the load couldn't be shipped. I had delivered a bunch of back hauls to different places from those Miami runs.

7. crocky

crocky Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2017
    It depends on timing and what the load I'd get elsewhere would be... Whatever load you take after deadheading you still have to add all those dead head miles to that loads rate so you might be driving a day deadhead up to ATL just to end up at a dollar a mile anyway.. In that case it makes more sense to just take a quick $500-600 load up to SC or NC..

8. I live in Florida...
    Unless you want to kill a few days and hope something decent might come up (big mistake) you are much better off deadheading up North. The loads out of Fl at $1 per mile or less are hardly worth the time. You spend a day on loading a 48000 lbs and a day on unloading. Some serious tarpping might be involved too on flatbed loads. Deadheading to a better paying load is a much better option as you basically start making money the next day. The key is to add $250 to your FL load as you know that's the money you will need to spend to get out of there. Florida is absolutely dead for outbound always.....unless its a season for reefers.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
    bzinger and PE_T Thank this.
  9. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    $250 is not the key. You are wasting a whole day to get out. It should be at least a $1000 if you are deadheading North.

PE_T and Cabinover101 Thank this.
  10. Unfortunately, this is the reality for us living here. And ,yes, of course IT SHOULD BE $1000!

PE_T and Cabinover101 Thank this.
  11. Don't forget that it cost $25 a day to park your truck in Miami. So, its quite feasible that flying home is cheaper in the long run especially if you deadhead way up North.

PE_T and Farmerbob1 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.