First day behind the wheel!!

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Michelle33, Mar 7, 2024.

1. jjctransport

jjctransport Bobtail Member

Dec 19, 2018
    Good Luck !!

Michelle33 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Judge

Judge Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Arkansas

Explanation.

Michelle33 Thanks this.
  4. The one california kid

The one california kid Medium Load Member

Oct 31, 2023
    That's the way I did it. Floating the gears was the best way but it's tough to start from a stop when you got a slipping clutch.

5. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Relax. Double-clutching & shifting in semi-trucks is very different than 4-wheelers. People with experience shifting gears in 4-wheelers have MORE difficulty learning to shift in the big truck. Do what your trainer says, not what you used to do in a car.

Also, most newbies push the clutch far-too deep which makes tjing more difficult. In a car the clutch is ideally fully down or fully up. That is not how it works in a truck. In the truck, once you begon to move you only press the clutch just enough to get out of gear or into gear. Typically, you only press the clutch fully down when you are stopped. When moving you might press the clutch pedal down 25-33% of the distance. If you press it further down you beging to activate the clutch brake. That makes getting into gear nearly impossible.

You use the clutch in the truck like you are TRYING to wear out the clutch in a car.

6. drivingmissdaisy

drivingmissdaisy Road Train Member

Jun 10, 2019
    There is alot of truth to that.

I went into CDL school telling the trainer I'll learn that shifting thing real fast, both of my 4 wheelers are 5 speeds. He rolled his eyes, turned to the guys in the sleeper on chairs waiting their turn to drive, and said "This guy will take longer to learn how to shift than any of you. Mark my words." I got so pissed at that dude, I was like BULL**it."

Dude was absolutely right. I had to not just learn how to shift a big truck, I had to UNLEARN how to shift, period.

7. Michelle33

Michelle33 Bobtail Member

Feb 19, 2024
    West Texas
    I understand what this means now lol. It finally clicked. :D

I've been doing much better with double clutching, my turns and I even did good with city driving :)..... I just don't like getting into the 60+ speeds yet..

BUT I know that it will come :) I'm hopeful and determined!!

Im a really cautious driver- so I need to become a bit more confident... my instructor said I need to be a little more of a dare devil- :biggrin_25512: .. I'm working on it lol

So all in all, it's fun, exciting and scary all at the same time!! And I'm happy I jumped into this profession!! I hope I make it moving forward :biggrin_2559:

8. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

You are ok and will be OK when you feel like you are never going to learn downshifting. You will grind gears, mis-shift, and want to just stop and start from a standstill. Go as slow as necessary until your brain & feet/arms learn the habits. Almost nobody feels well trained until a few months of driving after you get your CDL. You are normal.

9. Turdzthaword

Turdzthaword Light Load Member

Aug 30, 2020
    The "hand-eye-foot" coordination needed for smoother shifting will become second nature in time, family. I had become so used to driving manual in my first 4 and half years that I was scared shooshless when my company switched to automatics. I thought :eek: "oh no, what will I reach for once it's time to stop". Now, I've become so used to automatics that I might need time to get used to manuals again.
    You're doing a great job so far. You got this

Flat Earth Trucker and Michelle33 Thank this.
  10. Ex-Trucker Alex

Ex-Trucker Alex Heavy Load Member

Jan 7, 2023
    Looks like either Uttar Pradesh or Punjab......

Lonesome Thanks this.
  11. Ex-Trucker Alex

Ex-Trucker Alex Heavy Load Member

Jan 7, 2023
    If you can't find 'em, grind 'em!

Hey, how about a 57' trailer, with the tandems shoved all the way up to the 'California hole'? Or wiggle-wagons?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.