Flatbed to LTL, my body is telling me it's time.

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by basedinMN_, Jun 19, 2022.

1. road_runner

road_runner Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    What everyone else said. You are already too qualified for driver trainee. Make sure you get your endorsements before you apply cause some places will not consider you without them.

As for backing, linehaul doesn't really do much of it. You go from one terminal to another and your backing may consist of building sets/triples and then maybe backing to a dock in an open yard. Some places make you drop your trailer(s) and have their yard hostlers take over backing them in for you.

If you want to do linehaul, get ready to work nights. Daytime runs exist but are so scarce that they are considered the Holy Grail of runs.

If P&D is more your fancy, you will be required to execute extremely complex maneuvers at time. Alley dock is standard. But realistically you may find yourself backing in a complex pattern around cars, dumpsters, across multiple lanes of busy traffic, uphill while it snows. "I don't feel comfortable going in there" is an excuse that will get you ostracized by your colleagues and management.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. basedinMN_

basedinMN_ Medium Load Member

Jan 21, 2011
    St Paul, MN
    Hoovestol?

4. road_runner

road_runner Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2012
    Montucky
    BTW, I started out flatbed and swapped to LTL

5. MovinOnUp

MovinOnUp Bobtail Member

Aug 7, 2021
    Dayton Freight is worth looking at also. They have places in Lakeville and Roseville in your area. They are a good, strong company that is growing in your region. Just bought Valley Cartage and took over their LTL this spring. Non union good pay and benefits OT after 40 I believe.

jmz Thanks this.
  6. mickeyrat

mickeyrat Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2011
    on my 30 min break
    yes OT after 40 and at my barn anyway we have been giving a bunch of OT.

and no sets. 48' and 53' vans on linehaul. p/d might pull liftgate or 11'6" city van along with the 48's and 53's.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.