Flying J in Breezewood, PA is closed

Discussion in 'Truck Stops' started by bigkev1115, Dec 21, 2019.

1. navypoppop

navypoppop Heavy Load Member

Dec 4, 2014
    Winter Haven, Fl.
    Pilot/Flying J corp. should buy it. Just because the lessee ran it into the ground doesn't mean the corp. office shouldn't take over and remodel it. I bet the land owner has other plans that do not include a truck stop.

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. volvo244t

volvo244t Road Train Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Bettendorf, IA
    Probably not. A truck stop is about the only viable business model left in Breezewood. The whole place is dying and there's a lot of all but abandoned real estate there.

Much of the public that frequents that stretch purposely boycotts it because of the town council's so far successful efforts to block any sort of direct connection between the Turnpike and I-70 from ever being built. The only people other than truckers who stop there are non-regulars who do not know this, or the few regulars who just don't care.

Western flyer, stwik, PE_T and 3 others Thank this.
  4. Dave1837

Dave1837 Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2019
    Pennsylvania
    I started running route 30 to route 26 out to I99 cause I'm boycotting the turnpike. Driving down 30 through Breezewood is honestly depressing. 50% of the buildings are run down and abandoned

TokyoJoe, Dave_in_AZ and 77fib77 Thank this.
  5. Buc

Buc Medium Load Member

Nov 17, 2012
    So I just stopped by there yesterday since it was on route... both lower and upper parking lots are barricaded off, but access to the Blue Beacon is still open. There is, if one is ambitious enough, space between two of the jersey barriers closer to the old entry to fit your truck through at an angle if one really wants to get in there (though I wouldn't recommend it if your front end is too low slung and/or if your truck has the lower-skirted fairings on the sides-- they'll probably crack on impact since that little bit of access also jumps a curb).

And that's not all that's closed...two of the gas stations across there street are also closed down; one of them is being razed. I bet Gateway/TA is loving all that since it's about as close to guaranteed revenue as one can get. It also wouldn't surprise me if TA tries to turn that lot into all-PtP--virtually half of it already is.

It's freaking sad to see what's become of that place...

6. volvo244t

volvo244t Road Train Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Bettendorf, IA
    Maybe this guy can move some of the barriers
    bullbarlol.jpg

And the council more or less brought it on. If you keep people from travelling quickly and safely (by blocking all efforts for a direct connection between the 'Pike and 70) they're going to get pissed and not want to spend any money there.

Infosaur, mjd4277, PE_T and 2 others Thank this.
  7. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    The turnpike is so expensive it easy to drive around with the new auto shift trucks and disc brakes. Going on I-68 is not a big deal if delivery is south of Carlisle. Coming across I-80 and going us 322 thru State College PA is easy drive. Their is a new Love's on I-68. Breezewood PA used to be the place to stop. The turnpike keep raising the price every year.

Dave1837, TokyoJoe and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  8. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    US 22 from 80 to US 30. That turnpike is BS.

However if the price is right, perhaps I've found the spot to open The Davetro.

stwik Thanks this.
  9. Buc

Buc Medium Load Member

Nov 17, 2012
    Yeah I can imagine that tollpike is tearing the O/Os up big time. I don't even want to know what the current rates are; they were bad enough nine years ago.

Question for anyone who's done this: I've yet to have a reason to be anywhere in the vicinity of McConnelsburg or Gettysburg, so for those who have traveled 30 east from Breezewood to McConnelsburg, is it really as bad as the signs along the PTP eastbound make it out to be? I know PA is the devil in some spots (I lived there for seven years...ugh), but have never been down there. Curious to hear it from experienced guys.

10. Dave1837

Dave1837 Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2019
    Pennsylvania
    RT 30 is not a good truck route. It's hilly and 2 lanes in most parts

sealevel Thanks this.
  11. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

US-322 from I-80/I-99 to Harrisburg is a good route. There’s currently some construction there, but it’s still a good route, especially once they finish with the construction.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.